• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Power Supply help

biferi

Jul 29, 2008
I am a Computer Repair Teck and need some help and I lnow this is for Shortwave Radio but I was thinking that someone maybe can help me.

Computer Power Supplys give three Voltages
+3.3 Volts and +5 Volts and +12 Volts I get this.

Now an ATX Power Supply will have a 20 Pin Malex Connector that has a Wire that will give +12 Volts to the Motherboard and all of the 5. Pin Connectors for the Drive have one Wire that will give +12 Volts.

So I gather that whenever a Connector has to give +12 Volts to something or to any Connector it will take it from the same +12 Volt pool on the Power Supply.

What I need help with is I found a Power Supply that gives specs that say
+3.3V at 24 Amps
+5V at 30 Amps
+12V at 60 Amps

Now I get for this Power Supply it is telling me the Three Voltages and how mutch Current they can give I get this.

So if it has a +12 Volt pool that can give 60 Amps am I right in thinking that every Drive Connector and the Malex Connector will be drawling there +12 Volts from the same + 12 Volt pool of the Power Suppy?

Because if I am right then I sould make sure that the +12 Volts pool of the Power Supply will give a High Current???

Am I right Thanks

"So if it has a +12 Volt pool that can give 60 Amps am I right in thinking that every Drive Connector and the Malex Connector will be drawling there +12 Volts from the same + 12 Volt pool of the Power Suppy?"

the transformer has 3 separate voltage taps. 3.3 v, 5v, & 12v.

the combined amperage of all devices drawing from the 12 v tap can not exceed the 60 amp max rating.

unless there is a second xformer in the 'puter, the only source of 12 v is the 60 amp xformer.

Need more help

Thanks for the help but what I ment was

If the Power Supply I am looking at can supply +3.3 Volts at 24 Amps

And the 20 Pin Malex Connector that goes to the Motherboard has Three Wire that will give +3.3V

And then the EVERY 5. Pin Connector for the Devices has One Wire that will give +3.3V I was thinking that this would max out the +3.3 pool.

And the same for the +5 Volts and te +12 Volts.
If I am not explaining myself in the right way please tell me I thank you for your help

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.