• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Power Supply Help

Happy_Hamer

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 22, 2001
I came across this "repeater power supply" and I KNOW NOTHING about power supplies.

I guess my question is,

How in the heck do I use it?

There is no 110V power cord.

The tag shows 16.6v, a bit high for radio use.

Is this just junk?

Last edited:

the smaller transformer looks like it really a choke. cant see it too well but it looks like perhaps ac on the empty terminals adjacent to the yellow wires, do the yellow wires go right into the big transformer? if they do, look at the other side of the transformer. whichever has the smaller size wires will be the primary and thats were you will want to connect the ac to. dont know if its 220 or 110 though huh? if its 110 it should have 120 or so windings onthe input, you could try to cut a little paper back to see if you can see if its got a hundred or 200 windings on the inside... or just wing it. (what i would do)
my guess is its a 120 just based on size.

So taking a 110v power cord I would hook one side opposite to one yellow wire and the other opposite the second yellow?

409d1233783150-power-supply-help-power-supply-002.jpg

Well, what does a basic power supply schematic look like? It would start with the power stepdown transformer and then go to the diode bridge. After that, it would have to go thru filter capacitors and then to a voltage regulator. What other circuit is on the supply that you have? Maybe mapping it out would help.
Just two cents...

Power Supply

Hamer: I would agree...yellow wires are primary input and chassis frame will be ground for third wire. The small board with the connector will be the on/off and voltage adjustment which should be from a remote head on the repeater console frame...Did not get that...Hey?
Taking a (SWAG) Scientific wild ass guess...the 2 small pins together on left of the small board...On/Off switch leg...the other group will be the regulator/over current reset controls coming from the remote head...most likely a small push button for reset and variable resistor for voltage adjustment...Red/Blk terminals of course will be low voltage output(most likely 13.8 volts)...Looks like a well filtered supply
GL
All the best
BJ

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.