• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Power Supply

Mr_Gnome

Dec 17, 2006
San Francisco
I have a Pyramid 52 amp power supply. Is it normal when keying 100w and swinging to around 400w for it to drop around 1 volt?

Is it a bad thing on the radio/amp to run it at around 14.8 volts?

Thanks,
Mr Gnome

Mr_Gnome said:
I have a Pyramid 52 amp power supply. Is it normal when keying 100w and swinging to around 400w for it to drop around 1 volt?
I would say NO!

Is it a bad thing on the radio/amp to run it at around 14.8 volts?
Shouldn't hurt it that I can see, I run the 2970dx radio @ 14.1 all the time.
Thanks,
Mr Gnome

The voltage drop is normal when you put a load on the supply.. I wouldn't be concerned unless it was dropping more than that..

The radio and amp should be fine at those volts.. I know many people running 15 volts and never had any issues..

Ok thanks.

It's supposed to hit 15 volts, but only does, I'm guessing from my analog meter, 14.8 volts...I'd have to get a digital meter to get an accurate reading. It's a new supply I just got on 12-26-06.

I also have another Pyramid 52 amp that I need to replace the 8 transistors in the heat sinks, the fan and the voltage adjustment on the front. Maybe it also had the drop and I never noticed it. The more I think about it, I seem to recall it did drop and the 26 amp I had did also.

BTW, would Radio Shack carry those transistors?

Thanks,
Mr Gnome

Mr_Gnome,
I mis-understood what you were asking, I thought your supply was dropping "to" 1 volt, but instead it's only dropping "1" volt.

Sorry about that.

That supply will drop and thats fine if you were having troubles do to the drop your radio reports would be unpleasurable they would be what you dont want to hear. As for the voltage being to high that pyramid wont hurt it there within a safe area guideline I think 15Volts is max handling on alot of dc equipment or shall I say standard equipment excluding modified or custom equipment such as comp amps ETC

I would think that at 400 watts out you are pushing the power supply to the max it can deliver and in that case a voltage drop of 1 volt is not to be unexpected.Where are you measuring the voltage at? Right at the output terminals or at the radio/amp?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.