• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Preamp

Oldtimer

May 20, 2008
Stuart Florida
I have a KLV 550 amp with a preamp.
What is the correct way to use a preamp?
How do I coordinate the squelch on the radio with the dial on the pre amp?
Thanks

Unfortunately most basic PreAmps increase the noise just as much as they increase the desired audio. This can make the preamp effectively useless for SSB and AM. The only exceptions are if you can somehow use DSP noise reduction to back out the noise. So all you can really do with the squelch on your radio is just mess with it to suit yourself if you turn the preamp on.

There are expen$ive GasFET preamps that do more than just amplify everything, BTW

my TS500 has a pre amp that works better than the one on my P225 . it does increase static some but it increases the modulation above the static a pretty noticable difference . im not at all saying it works as well as a stand alone preamp since i done have one to reference against . just saying mine makes a noticable improvement .

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.