• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

President John Q restoration

Uncle Ronnie 336

Apr 28, 2020
Radio is a little beat up and has seen some work but did not have any modifications to it. So let me list off some issues...

I changed out the protection diode and the inductors and capacitors around it which got that burnt Gunk all over it. And this is how I initially brought this radio back to life and now here I am addressing all the other issues.

Low peak output 12w peak after tune, 5w carrier

Squelch pot does nothing. Will grab one from a partspig, and then go upstream on that River from there..

Dim led and meter display lights, delayed "charge up" advice needed

these issues persisted after changing all the old electrolytic caps.

Things to upgrade: this is going to a new cber and I want to get him talking good throughout the next skip peak.

This radio has been around the block a little bit. I think the driver and final are a little tired despite not being modified in any way. This will be rebuilt with a 2sc 2314 and IRF520 I*R final,
I will do a little research on the audio chip to see if there is a potential upgrade or if I have one in a parts pig somewhere and I mind as well rebuild everything around that.
The spike diode between the transformer and modulated rail of the driver and finals might as well get replaced because I don't know what reverse polarity and age did to it

Maybe a shottky Rx diode mod, maybe

Lowers. No point in having uppers if there's no SSB. There are some pretty cool people hanging around in the basement. 858 PLL. I need to read up more on it but if I can do a straight 40 down with a crystal switch, I would prefer that over having two switches with only some of the channels working. If anyone has insight on that I would like to hear it

Attachments

• 16297337189631242551366571787911.jpg
    16297337189631242551366571787911.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 8

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    BLACKOUT HF
  • @ BJ radionut:
    I am beginning the packing process...XENIA bound Going "Lite": this year....2 items for sale...Rig #1 = FT-920/Gud to Ex condition/Hand Mike/pwr cord/manual (NO BOX) ... #2 = My 1 owner FT-950....EX condition...Original Shipping Double Box/Factory Manual/Never used hand mike...Booths 9107-9111...Ya'al come by say hello...
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Incoming Region Produces X3 Solar Flare
    May 15, 2024 @ 14:55 UTC
    Another major solar flare, but this time from an active region just beginning to turn into view off the east limb. It is possible that the group responsible is old AR 3654 from the previous rotation. The latest flare, an X2.99 event just peaked at 14:38 UTC (May 15). Stay tuned