• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

President Washington. Low AM/SSB power. Help?!

Just got home a bit ago. Great to visit family. :)

So.. I desoldered the legs of the diode, and it checked out ok on the final side... To be sure, I desoldered the diode on the driver side, and it checked out exactly the same... :/ Both working and not letting anything through when you reverse the probes.

This guy.... on R180.... 56k resistor according to the thing... But man, its a big ugly guy!!!?? lol... compared to the rest of the resistors.. This one is reading a direct short, and no matter the ohms settings, its reading 0.00... I tested another resistor I had in the drawer to be sure my DMM wasnt messed up, and it was reading the ohms of the other resistor just fine... Is R180 the culprit?
resister R180 Washington CB.jpg

56 Ohms?? Or .56 Ohms. It looks like an Omega after the 56, the K might be a temperature rating.

Reactions: doffo
This is a uPD858 chassis or MB8719 ?

Edit: I found a schematic for Cobra 138XLR, which is also a uPD858. R180 is listed as a 56 Ohm at 2w resistor.

Last edited:
Reactions: doffo
This is a uPD858 chassis or MB8719 ?

Edit: I found a schematic for Cobra 138XLR, which is also a uPD858. R180 is listed as a 56 Ohm at 2w resistor.
858 chassis. :) You were right. Yea, the thing read 56 ohms.. its fine...

Coming to a loss on what is causing the havoc. :) Wish I woulda gave it a clean and a test prior to a recap to be sure it wasnt something I did. I will have to double check every capacitor I did. The whole radio receives at least, but transmit is a whole different ball park lol. Only other thing I havent done is swap the driver out.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.