• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

problems with my Wilson fiberglass mobile antenna setup

Snake Eyes

Oct 24, 2007
I have tried different mounting accessories, and have been sure to preserve the integrity of the plastic ring on the 3 way antenna mounts, but nothing has worked as far as getting my SWR's down to a respectable level (less than 1:3:1 has been unachievable for more than 20 minutes).

I have been able to tune with the Wilson fiberglass whip at various times to get it to everywhere from 1:1:1 on up, but the problem is, it doesn't stay there!

It's awfully weird, and I will also mention that I am using a new 18 foot piece of coax, and I have a ground to the sheet metal of the vehicle, as well as having my radio grounded.

This one's a strange one!

Try grounding it to the frame sometimes car/truck makers have rubber washers that make it difficult to get a good ground on the exterior part of the vehicle.

Thanks for the advice, Marty.

We spent a good two hours going from the frame to the sheet metal, and getting everything setup with that, and I can't think why in the world, that the sheet metal would be such an awful choice.

It could be, though, but I really don't intend on going back to the frame for grounding.

Do you have any idea as to why the sheet metal would not be as good?

new coax doesnt mean good/properly constructed coax . check it anyway . ive herd of moisture in coax causing similar problems , rain can get in through the so239 and pl259 if it isnt securely fastened . not that it couldnt be grounding . also what stud is on your 3 way mount ? ive read many post about those gum drops failing inside the shell and once again causing problems similar to what youre having .
this is a killer SS stud for $12.95 + $2.50 S&H http://www.sparkyscbshack.com/catalog/item/2956831/4578245.htm
use a hex key in the bottom for mounting as discussed here... http://cbworldinformer.com/200108/dragon_sswm1.htm

Hey all,

My goal here is to have a 102" whip antenna installed in the next week or so. I set it up for a few minutes tonight (in place of the Wilson fiberglass), and all of a sudden my SWR went down to 1:1:1.

Great!

...But, I still have problems.

I am getting 7 s-units of noise when I shouldn't be getting any more than 3 s-units.

You already know my issues with the Wilson, and the 7 s-units of noise is the main issue here with the 102" whip.

Also, this noise occurs no matter where I'm parked, and even if the engine is on.

I don't know what to think.

In the next short while, I plan to check the grounding system of the radio (will disconnect it), and then check the grounding system of the vehicle (will disconnect that as well).

If anyone has any thoughts or ideas here, please let me know!

Final Thoughts:

Could it STILL be the coax....? I should mention, earlier tonight when the SWR was below 1:3:1, I talked a little skip (at 25 watts).

A new heavy duty spring, plus a new heavy duty three way mount will be here shortly.

Thanks!!!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.