• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

quad versus groundplane

T

tejanodrum

I have built a four element quad and have been comparing it to my Maco 5/8 groundplane. Sometimes the quad works better and recieves better than the ground plane and sometimes the groundplane has better recieve. It's really puzzling. the groundplane works better with local signals and the quad with DX signals. I was under the impression that when i built the quad that it would blow away the groundplane and i can't seem to get the performance out of the quad that i thought i would get, although it has some good moments. I am going to bring the quad back down and see if i can optimize it for more gain. I don't have any equipment other than comparing signals and having someone drive a mobile around within a ten mile radius, and checking db strengh. I thought i would try to tune each element of the quad starting with the driven loop and then the reflector and then the two directors. Only problem is when using only two loops the impedance is around 100 ohms. That doesn't look good on a 50 ohm swr meter. Well anyways i'll keep everyone posted.

161 three eyed jack

jokersignature1.gif
</p>

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.