• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Question about converting a tube amp

BangSwitch

Apr 15, 2007
I have a Kris Boomer amp that was being used on 11 meters. It was originally intended for 10 and 6 meters. I would like to use it on 10 meters, and was wondering what modifications would have been made to operate it on 11 meters. So I can change it back.
Thanks in advance,
Dave KC9LJO

It should work fine on ten meters.The majority of the ten & six meter amps from that era were built with the intention of the CB'er as the end user.

Do you have the operating manual? That will have all the answers, including answers to questions you haven't even thought of yet ;) .

If you DON'T have the manual, your first, best course of action would be to get one and get familiar with the amplifier. I'm not familiar with it, but from the bit of Googling I've done, the only metering it has is RF power and HV. Nothing for measuring plate current or grid current. Your amplifier might be a different model from the ones I looked at via Google. I did find several places where it looked like manuals were available.

"When all else fails, read the manual."

I moved this topic to the Amp section. You might get some more input here.
Myself, I would go ahead and try it on ten and see what the result is, most amps that will work on 11 will work just as well on 10, it is so close that I do not think it will matter.

Jeff

Thanks for the advice guys. I found and downloaded the operating manual, and schematic. I am pretty sure it is still in stock configuration, and was just being used on 11 meters. So it should work fine on 10.
Thanks agian,

Dave KC9LJO

I'm just woundering? You DO have a ticket that affords you the right to transmit on 10 meters and you don't have the tech. ability to figure out wether or not a givin amp will work? Could be me but this just don't seam right to me ???

Chuck

Cut the Guy a little slack, The Tech ticket (entry level) is to get you started, and yes you can talk on Ten.
I am sure that not everyone that starts in Ham radio Knows everything the first day.....At least he is asking questions right?

Jeff

Yes, I do have my ticket. And no I do not know everything about radio equipment. I assume you DO know everthing, except how to be polite, or spell SEEM!

Not everything :roll: If I knew everything I would have known you were only a Tech. class opp. But as I am not even that and know 11meter and 10 meter are interchangable I guess I just figured someone with a LICENSE would know more about radio then me ;)

Chuck

P.S. No hard feelings just used to being a stupid C.B.'er :shock:

not all, some older tube amps are retuned for 11m use, its common on the bigger 3-500z tube boxes. it makes them very narrow banded. ive seen some where if you tried to operate on 28.450 usb the swr will shoot threw the roof.

i seen it durring a field day some years ago, a die hard cb'er brough one out trying to sell it.

he asked a valid question. keep in mind amps made in the last 25 years or so cant even do 10m out of the box without being modded (solid state amps can)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.