• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Radiomaster PA-30 antenna

Nightshade

Sep 16, 2009
Does anyone have any info on the Radiomaster PA-30 (also sold as NASA PA-30) wire antenna?

This antenna is manufactured in Holland by RF systems but that about all the info I can find. it would be nice to find some user reviews but the I can find none on the web.

Please help!!!!!!!!!

The only thing I know about them is what I've read after a search. It sounds like a typical non resonant antenna till it get's to the RG-174 feed line. At that point, it isn't worth the trouble if 'they' paid you to take it. You wouldn't believe how 'lossy' RG-174 is after a few inches. Not feet, but inches. Also, there's no way any balun (that matching transformer) can possibly give you a good imedance match over so wide a range of frequencies with a random length doublet antenna.
If you think it will satisfy your needs, have at it. Don't expect much though.
- 'Doc

Ide go another route or build your own its simple and takes a a few minutes take 468 devided by the frequency or ballpark range and you get your length of wire you need

Wow! From the response I'm getting here and on other radio boards this antenna is universally panned as not worth the effort to hang.

From the sales text the claim that it doesn't need a tuner is why I wondered. If I can save the cost of a tuner and get a turn key antenna, well, what would be grand. However, that looks to be to much to expect.:bdh:

The reason it "doesn't need a tuner" is that the loss in the coax is so great that there won't be much left to come back down the line as "reflected power". It therefore will appear to be a nearly perfectly matched antenna.

Many of us have taken a 500-foot spool of RG-58 or -59, connected a PL-259 to one end and connected it to a transmitter with absolutely nothing on the other end of the coax. Your typical SWR meter will show very close to 1:1, again because of coax loss.

The reason it "doesn't need a tuner" is that the loss in the coax is so great that there won't be much left to come back down the line as "reflected power". It therefore will appear to be a nearly perfectly matched antenna.

Many of us have taken a 500-foot spool of RG-58 or -59, connected a PL-259 to one end and connected it to a transmitter with absolutely nothing on the other end of the coax. Your typical SWR meter will show very close to 1:1, again because of coax loss.

I'll vouch for that. BTW on 440 MHz it doesn't have to be anything near 500 feet either. :laugh:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.