• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Raspberry Pi SDR build

KangMudDuck

Mar 5, 2021
I have been poking around trying to understand how to set something like this up. Would like to have a waterfall display like those fancy ham rigs!

Plan is to mount a wideband antenna on top of the tv tower and use the 75 ohm coax that feeds into the house (don't watch TV, my mother in law who is now into a month long stay was a little miffed no TV, but she is content watching A Team and Macguyver reruns on the internet streaming TV we have hooked up). Is there a true wideband antenna that will go from 0 to 1200 mhz? Or will I need two, one that can pick up 24 mhz and up, and another for the lower side, like a magnetic loop or long wire?

Will need to buy another Pi 4, current one is in use running 14,000 video games my brother set up for me. What type of SDR receiver is best? AIrspy HF+ looks interesting, but only goes to 230 mhz, others I have been looking at seem to need drivers and RF samplers to listen to lower frequencies.

What is the best software? The CubicSDR software looks good from the videos I have seen. Just looking to see a waterfall, nothing too fancy here.

Will plug into an old TV with HDMI.

Please share your project builds and any tips, thank you very much.

Have you put one of these together? I was looking at the cheapo RTL-SDR dongles, only one that looks decent is the EL4000 board that is widebanded. Part I don't understand with those dongles is using a driver and RF sampler for HF. The Airspy products look like that is included.

Thanks for the other link, but I'm trying to keep it as compact as possible, hence the Pi build, not looking to run it on a laptop.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?