• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

RCI 2900 DX ??

Switch Kit

Apr 6, 2005
Could anybody give me an understanding on this radio ? ...I realize it is a discontinued model ....but is this a worthy radio ? What can it do ? is it good on AM as well as SSB ? What kind of numbers could I expect to see from this radio ? When did this radio first hit the market place ? and what might be a fair used price for one. Thank you for any info on this radio. S-K

IM not real up on the 2900 series RCI radios ,have heard over the years that the 2950s were and have been good radios but also that they have had there on again off again problems ,IM more so a simple AM/SSB older radio (CB) kind of guy over the years anyway,I had a Ranger 3300 many years ago (Clear Channel) not RCI that may have been the best sideband radio I ever owned but it really never did that well on the AM side )-: . One thing I have noticed about RCI radios over the years is that they have more discontinued models then they do models that are made today ? .....I suppose that might make one wonder why ? Hmmm ....thanks N-S Switch Kit

The RCI 2900 radio was a CPU type radio with an analog S/RF meter, they are kinda rare nowdays. I have not seen one for a long time. The had more that there share of problems when they first came out, and Ranger spent a lot of time and effort trying to fix it....they did, with the 2950.
As soon as the 2950 came into production, Ranger dropped the 2900, and never looked back, both radios had the same basic funcitions, but the 2950 was a much better built radio.
Clones were also marketed under the names Galaxy Uranus,
Click here for Picture______________
Scroll down the list on the left hand side and click the "SommerKamp TS-789DX".
That is really a picture of the Galaxy, But the Sommerkamp was the same radio, with a new face........

Jeff

yeap !! that's it !! I wonder if Ranger would work on one of them if sent to them ? and how much ? ...there something wrong with a few of the push buttons on this one ,good power though 40 SSB 30 AM ....but the only way you can do the channels is manually ...about half the buttons on the radio just won't work )-: thanks Audio dude.
Sommerkamp_TS-789_DX.jpg

I should have known )-: ....first off ,I didn't have to pay much for this gem . I had it work'in but you could only manually get channels on it .....turned it off and back on and eveything but the meter came on ..no trans /no reciever/no freq display/ REMARKABLE !!! ....I Suppose like I said earlier ...just need to stick to them older cb's ....cold solder joint ? maybe ..but I really think it's more so the front end of this thing which is the key pad and freq counter (and they look to be one piece) )-: I guess they discontinued them for a reason ? Just the thought of the cost for repair is scary enough ....look'in like I got some good parts , nuff said.

Switch kit,

If you contact Ranger ask them to ask J.R. about these. He knows alot about these. I don't think they will service them anymore but I could be wrong.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.