• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

RCI 2970 Split Power Cord 6 Pin Connector Advisement and Fix

Wire Weasel

Senior Moment
Dec 13, 2008
Got a 2970 a little while back in a trade. It was well used and had some minor problems but I think I've nursed it back to health. Seem to work okay operationally when I got it but after a couple of weeks of use it got to where the display would dim some when transmitting and then it would take to cutting out....the whole radio. Checking around on stuff I felt that the 6 pin Molex connector in back was getting hot and that shouldn't be. One this one, and I assume it was the factory arrangement, the power wiring was 12 gauge inside the radio and is soldered to terminals. As the single wires go back towards the 6 pin plug they splice/split the wire into 2 smaller wires which goes to 2 pins in plug. Did this on both pos. and neg. So there are 4 smaller wires using 4 pins in the plug, 2 for pos. and 2 for neg.

Apparently over time the integrity of the splices or the male/female pin fit inside the plug can and may break down. It was getting so hot on 2 of the pins that the insides of the plug were starting to melt and there would become a bad connection.
electricf.gif

So I ripped all of that out and went in with the 10 gauge wire that I'm using for the connection to the power supply. All is great so far and the display doesn't dim any at all even at full power levels.

So be on the watch for problems with larger wires split down to two smaller wires going through quick connect plugs and particularly on high power radios.
interview.gif

why not just buy a new power cable. if your really feeling thrifty you can change the connectors for under $5 each

The repair is already done and I don't want to replace a bad design with more of the same just so it can go bad again sometime down the road.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.