• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Re do on my I-10K post #1

Marconi

Honorary Member Silent Key
Oct 23, 2005
Houston
Post #1 on my I-10K Eznec5 model.

Today I decided to recheck my I-10K's matching device for errors.

I got my antenna out and checked the dimensions and angles for the matcher to compare to my Eznec5 model. My model was working to fix the mismatch problem with a 5/8 wave ground plane somewhat, but it was not responding to frequency adjustments in the CB band as I expected.

My original model also had the radials set symmetrically to the radiator and feed point and the I-10K is not symmetrical in that area. I wanted to try and fix that also, thinking that may be the problem. I was hoping if I fixed both issues I would see a better resistive part of the match, and also get the matcher to show a better tuning response for the model, but that did not happen. I didn't give up however.

What did happen may be more significant to the mystique of the I-10K and its trombone tuner than I ever imagined. Only further real world testing can shed more light on this revelation I saw today. More on the mystique in post #3.

This will be a three part post, and the first post hopefully will show two close-ups of the area I was determined to fix namely and dimension errors I was able to find.

For my first model with a matcher, the radials and the feed point were both setup as symmetrical (centered) to the radiator, however the real I-10K's radials are off-set by 1". The feed point is symmetrically centered as constructed and that should remain centered.

In the attached file "Matcher Repairs," the images are closeups, and they are intended to show the general idea for the errors found and the corrected results for your comparison. No attempt was made to fix the symmetry in this first step. I was determined to get the trombone tuner as close to exact as I could. Again, I was hoping to get a better control over the dimensions and the angles...thus hoping to improve the responses with tuning.

I lost a little match with these corrections to the dimensions and angles, but I am hopeful these corrections will allow for better tuning when I get the time.

What you're looking at here is Jay's T2 tuner adjustment from an end view. You are looking down the long side of his trombone matcher. This view shows the relationship and the angles of his 4 part trombone tuning device and in Jay's manual T2 is said to be the adjustment end for the resistive match. The opposite end of this tuner is T1 and is said to adjust the antenna's length. I wanted to test that idea out as well, and figured if my matcher design worked, then maybe I would see that work as well. In my real world testing of this antenna I do not see such responses as noted. I have a video showing this and if I have time I'll post it below.

I 10K matching device - YouTube

Bob or some of you other guys with I-10Ks, can you comment on how your I-10K works, regarding T1 and T2 as spelled out in the manual.

View attachment I-10K matcher repair.pdf

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.