• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Receive & Transmit problems in Sterling Trucks

truckerdave

Jun 3, 2006
Buffalo, NY
groups.yahoo.com
My company runs Sterling trucks and several drivers have been having major problems with them. First,the SWR isn't the same from one day to the next. I've gone from a 3:1 match one day...and the next day had a 1.2:1 match. When it rains our match tends to be worse than on dry days. We have run ground wires from the mount to just inside the cab with a cleaned to metal area with minimal help and on some days it will actually make the SWR worse. We have tried direct ground wiring to negative battery post, grounding to the same ground as the radio and other generic metal screws or bolts.

For some reason, some of us can receive a reasonable distance of 3-4 miles while others can only receive 7 tenths of a mile. Mine for instance will only hear someone a mile away, but if someone else is talking within 3 miles or so...I will get complete static over their entire transmission. My radio is apparently picking them up fine, but a blanket of static is covering their transmission. At the same time, my radio will talk to anyone within 3-5 miles no problem. Another driver's radio is only getting out about 7 tenths of a mile up to about 1 mile before it mysteriously fades out.

I'm thinking we need to ground the heck out of everything. Some background info...

my truck has a Detroit, all others are Mercedes Benz motors.

all trucks are automatics...extra electrical componets to shift the gears.

We all run different Cobras, mine new 29ltd Classic, others have 200gtl and an older 25...all peaked and tuned.

all radios are wired to a main positive hub (about six feet of wire in dash)that has been checked with a meter to be putting out the same amount of power (and using same amount went transmitting)as the positive terminal on the batteries. all static is coming in through antenna, not power leads.

me and the 200gtl owner are running 50 ohm 97% sheilded Belden coax...brand new coax to one Wilson. His a 2000...mine a 5000.

My radio just came out of a different truck I drove and I had no problems with SWR (1.1 or 1.2:1) or being able to talk and receive perfectly....Same with the 200gtl's setup.

The guy with the 25 has an s-unit or so of noise with it turned off then it sky rockets to about 7-9 s-units when the key is turned to the on position. The 200gtl's only adds about 1-2 s-units of noise. Mine adds virtually none, even when running. I realize this is the fuel pump, but keep in mind that these are company trucks...not ours.

We have not tried moving the radios or re-routing the coax, but with smaller daycab trucks (no sleepers), we are limited in what we can do. The ceiling in these trucks is cardboard so we can't really relocate radios to mount into ceiling.

I'm gonna try to go in and work on my truck tommorrow and add a second Wilson 5000 to the other side. I've picked up the co-phase 75 ohm identical coax and I'm hoping to improve things at least by going directional. Also thinking of getting those radials to help as they have helped me in the past.

One idea one of the guys came up with was to turn the key to the on position and systematically remove one fuse at a time to see what componets were causing static. i thought this was a brilliant idea except he never did it as everyone is pretty fed up with these problems and we are sick of trying new things. It also doesn't help that this was 5:30 am on a saturday morning and we we're just back from driving all night long and done for the week!

Am I correct in thinking we have to ground everything better meaning cab to chassis, motor to chassis, door to cab, on and on.....or do you think it's something else?

The antenna is mounted on the mirror bracket right? There should be no change in SWR from day to day,set it and forget it kind of thing. Are you sure your meter is good?

If as soon as you turn the key you get the noise then its electrical so I'm thinking that you need to run the power for your radio off of the battery and run the ground wire to the frame. Make sure that you grind off some paint so that it will be a good ground and then seal it with something so that it will not rust. This can be a pain in the butt to do but it sounds like you should stay away from the wiring under the dash.

truckerdave said:
My company runs Sterling trucks and several drivers have been having major problems with them. First,the SWR isn't the same from one day to the next. I've gone from a 3:1 match one day...and the next day had a 1.2:1 match. When it rains our match tends to be worse than on dry days. We have run ground wires from the mount to just inside the cab with a cleaned to metal area with minimal help and on some days it will actually make the SWR worse. We have tried direct ground wiring to negative battery post, grounding to the same ground as the radio and other generic metal screws or bolts.

For some reason, some of us can receive a reasonable distance of 3-4 miles while others can only receive 7 tenths of a mile. Mine for instance will only hear someone a mile away, but if someone else is talking within 3 miles or so...I will get complete static over their entire transmission. My radio is apparently picking them up fine, but a blanket of static is covering their transmission. At the same time, my radio will talk to anyone within 3-5 miles no problem. Another driver's radio is only getting out about 7 tenths of a mile up to about 1 mile before it mysteriously fades out.

I'm thinking we need to ground the heck out of everything. Some background info...

my truck has a Detroit, all others are Mercedes Benz motors.

all trucks are automatics...extra electrical componets to shift the gears.

We all run different Cobras, mine new 29ltd Classic, others have 200gtl and an older 25...all peaked and tuned.

all radios are wired to a main positive hub (about six feet of wire in dash)that has been checked with a meter to be putting out the same amount of power (and using same amount went transmitting)as the positive terminal on the batteries. all static is coming in through antenna, not power leads.

me and the 200gtl owner are running 50 ohm 97% sheilded Belden coax...brand new coax to one Wilson. His a 2000...mine a 5000.

My radio just came out of a different truck I drove and I had no problems with SWR (1.1 or 1.2:1) or being able to talk and receive perfectly....Same with the 200gtl's setup.

The guy with the 25 has an s-unit or so of noise with it turned off then it sky rockets to about 7-9 s-units when the key is turned to the on position. The 200gtl's only adds about 1-2 s-units of noise. Mine adds virtually none, even when running. I realize this is the fuel pump, but keep in mind that these are company trucks...not ours.

We have not tried moving the radios or re-routing the coax, but with smaller daycab trucks (no sleepers), we are limited in what we can do. The ceiling in these trucks is cardboard so we can't really relocate radios to mount into ceiling.

I'm gonna try to go in and work on my truck tommorrow and add a second Wilson 5000 to the other side. I've picked up the co-phase 75 ohm identical coax and I'm hoping to improve things at least by going directional. Also thinking of getting those radials to help as they have helped me in the past.

One idea one of the guys came up with was to turn the key to the on position and systematically remove one fuse at a time to see what componets were causing static. i thought this was a brilliant idea except he never did it as everyone is pretty fed up with these problems and we are sick of trying new things. It also doesn't help that this was 5:30 am on a saturday morning and we we're just back from driving all night long and done for the week!

Am I correct in thinking we have to ground everything better meaning cab to chassis, motor to chassis, door to cab, on and on.....or do you think it's something else?

Let me solve your problem.

Go get a no-ground antenna, a la Bandit or one of the Shakespear marine antennas. Problem solved.

They run in the < quarter wave length, and you don't need any type of ground. You could fashion a mount to put them on the back of the day cab, or even (use mini-8 for this, for the flexibility) somewhere on the head end of the trailer.

MB uses SO much carbon fiber and fiberglass you'll never sort out the ground loops in those things. I tow'ed them for a living for a few years. Nice trucks... VERY nice cabs in comparison to a MACK or other "industrial duty" cab, but........ You see the drawbacks to the car-ization of the semi's...

--Toll_Free

--Toll_Free

Toll_Free said:
Go get a no-ground antenna, a la Bandit or one of the Shakespear marine antennas. Problem solved.

They run in the < quarter wave length, and you don't need any type of ground.

:?: :shock: :?: :shock: :?:

Rich

Just a little update. One guy has tried a Wilson no-ground antenna with no better/no worse results, although he's having the least of problems. I bought an antenna filter that uses a switch, bypass, 10db, 30db on the switch. It filters out static, but supposedly boosts 25-30mhz. I haven't had a chance to test it out yet while talking to someone, but it is filtering out all static. I'm afraid it's filtering out people with it, but it claims not to. I'll know better tommorrow when I go to work. I'll try to find out how everyone else's radios are working out as I haven't ran with them in the last week or so.

Try running wires direct to battery with 20amp noise filters.

you can get the filter at pep boys for $12

Dash contacts pick up all kinds of engine noise.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.