• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Receiver Alignment Hookup

I think I got it, I took a external jack and put two alligator clips on an hooked my probe from the scope to them. I can see the slight variation when I adjust the rf level of the scope.

Best method for a proper receiver alignment is to hook the radio up to a SINAD meter using your sig/gen - instead of a scope or multimeter.

Makes the difference between a loud receive with distortion and a receive that is sensitive, clear, and clean.

http://comtekk.us/sinad.htm

Free trial:
http://comtekk.us/downloads.php#SINAD
That's what happens when you use a scope and tune for the signal, not the noise. A SINAD just puts that on a meter movement.

Thanks also Rob, Forgive me for asking a simple question, but after downloading how do you get this to the radio?

Turn down the radio's volume control to 0, plug a cord into the 'Ex Spkr' jack on the radio, and plug the other end into the 'Line In' on your computer's sound card. A 1/8" tip/ring/sleeve computer audio cord will work just fine.

You will have to put a 1uV 30% modulated 1khz tone @ 27.185mhz from your sig/gen and then set the radio to ch 19. Go to 'Recording Devices' in Windows and set the default to 'Line In'. Turn up the radio's volume just enough to get the signal up on SINAD - and not a speck more. Turn the SINAD program to SINAD mode and start diddling the coils in the order that the Service Manual instructs with your nylon tuning tool . . .

Last edited:
So long as the noise can be seen against a massive signal and reduced on the scope, you will be close. The SINAD meter makes it easier to do; YMMV . . .
You should be able to adjust the noise out easily. I'd never use a sinad, but that's me.

just to put it in the thread.

if you are looking to buy an analog voltmeter to peak the receive with, make sure it will read AC volts on a scale of around 1 volt or less.
many will only read down to a 10 volt scale and you wont notice much needle movement there.
LC

Reactions: 2FB327
Funny you said that, I was trying to figure it out. I got it down with the scope, but couldn't figure why I didn't get any movement on the new analog meter, thanks.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.