• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Receiver Mods on RCI 6900 or 2950-70

ghutch

Sep 24, 2010
does anyone have first hand knowledge or or a comparison of the selectivity on 6900 or 2950-70 models after "splash Gaurd rec mods" was done?. I have looked at some reports saying the rci reciever needs this but up to now I have not thought much about the mods....the radio has a good rec based on the factory spec's on SSB.
I'am having my radio rec. and trans. alingment spec'd on the RCI 6900F and now thought it might be a good time to modify while the radio is in the shop?? also noted 2 type filters ceramic or crystal filters?? one any better bandwidth than the other? or improved signals on SSB only....not interested in AM performance just the SSB. also noticed that some of these are variable as well.....thought about removing the Echo and adding the variable pot in place as i do not use echo or talk back? any thought would be helpful. :confused:

Step one would be to actually have a good tech properly align the receive. Next up would be one of those diode mods. I did a google search for "splash Gaurd rec mods" and one of the first links was to radioHACKDIVE radio's web site. If it's some garbage mod that rip off place came up with stay clear.

not from radio active looking at theunits on bobs cb site not sure if they work ?? or they worth the headache....has anyone had these installed touse on ssb only? they aretuneable with the pot installed? similar toa notch?
sureley someone has experiience with these?? pls help i dont want to add a board if they dont make an improvement.

I have a 2950 with 100 watts I hear around and yes Talk around the world If your 2950 or 2970 is haveing a recive problem Adding and removeing parts is not the answere but a cause for more problems Before adjusting anything I would look at my coax and antenna system. After that you should move up to a ham radio with built in filtering and better receive..Good luck. Also if your on 11 meters At this time in the solar cycle there is no hope.

the radio has no issues with the receiver....it does a good job.....the rci's all have issues with noise to some degree. I just want to increase the receivers selectivity if possible. the sensitivity is good but at times the bands are a little crowded and i get some bleeding or overmodulation from a freqency that is close to the one i'am using. example 27.485 and someone on 27.490 causes some noise.
These filters shape the bandwidth and some are tuneable with a pot added or one rewired to use? one unit wires into the 10mhz IF and the other wires into the 455khz IF section....not sure how the pot adjusts....something like RIT?
I was just thinking someone on here would have had these filters installed and could give some insight. :confused::drool: hope it will make a watkins johnson out of the RCI??? i all honesty i just want to max the receiver if it can be done.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.