• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Receiver sensitivety ?

Se7en

Jun 27, 2010
Ca
How to test a hf radio for poor or good reception ?

curious if my hf radio has poor or good reception

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

Calibrated signal generator and a signal to noise meter. that's the only way to get accurate results. You can't just compare two radios unless you notice a REALLY drastic difference.

Calibrated signal generator and a signal to noise meter. that's the only way to get accurate results. You can't just compare two radios unless you notice a REALLY drastic difference.

Only thing I notice is when i go past 180m the sensitivity "receiver" goes quiet once it gets to 0.000.0 no audio.... it must be good because with the ic-7000 i had to use the PREAMP to listen to AM Broadcast using my vertical antenna but with this rig no need for preamp.

Last edited:
Tune to a frequency with no activity, just atmospheric noise. Take the antenna off. Did the noise drop? If so, sensitivity is fine. If no change, a preamp may be needed. Or an alignment.

Worked as you described.
A preamp is built into radio.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Mostgeneral coverage receivers and especially amateurreceivers have reduced sensitivity below 160m so asto lessen the interference from the AM broadcast. Band. Check the receiver specs and you will notice the difference. They are usually. 20 dB or more down in the am broadcast band.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.