• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Restore A Turner Plus Three

kangaroojack

Jul 31, 2015
Hervey Bay Queensland Oz
Hi guys, i am about to replace all the components on a turner plus three.
Does anyone have a list of the components needed ?
The schematic that is floating around on the net is very hard to read as the writing is not clear.
Also a few of the resistors are burned out and i cant really read the colors.
Any help with a list of parts would be awesome

I can't hep you with your schematic questions but wheather the mic's element is good or not you might want to check out w2ny.
On either eBay or his own site he lists all his mic replacement parts.
I'd like to share the link but my s3's Broken and untill radio shack trackes down a new one for me I can't seem to share links. Bob w2ny has experimented for years with different types of electret upgraded elements for almost every mic made from that era.
I myself had one of my silver eagle's elements refitted with his particular element for that mic.
My stations currently down and have yet to get reports but if you decide to read the reviews of people who've replaced their elements with Bob's you'll see there all glowing reviews. . Because I have sevral d104's all with excellent sounding working elements I decided to give one of Bob's / w2ny's replacements a try and will switch while qso'ing without mentioning the switch as to get an unbiased comparison.
I'm almost sure his site even has audio samples comparing both the original elements and his replacements and if the samples and reviews are correct I'm fairly positive I'll be getting a better voice reproduction compared to original silver eagle cartridge.
I also own a plus 3 and will purchase his replacement for that if the silver eagle reports are favorable. The plus threes are great soundind mic on AM and ssb.
I'm going to assume since your restoring your plus Three one of the most important parts of a mic is the element. You might concider going with a w2ny replacement. Good luck.
unfortunate that it doesnt have the parts list , thanks anyway

Here's the schematic I was able to locate. I think all of the component values are legible. Good luck on your restore. 73s.

Thanks for the PDF. I was always interested what's inside my favorite Desk Mic. My opinion best Communication Desk Microphone ever made.

Curious: What is Q1 ? Looked at symbol charts. A field effect transistor ? Looks like 2N3219 ? ZN3219 ?

Best John

You're correct. It's a 2N3219 field effect transistor. Pretty common part back in the day.

Well
You're correct. It's a 2N3219 field effect transistor. Pretty common part back in the day.

Well. I am having a hard time finding the Data for this FET. 2N3219 comes up in a Google search as an NPN BJT Transistor.

Is it possible it is a JFET 2N3819 ? The reason I ask is that I have 3 Turner + 3 with issues. By substitution using Clips verified the Mic Elements are Ok.

They all still work. But with Mic gain all the way up & radios of course mic gain all the way up. Figure might be this part.

Could also be Q2 a NPN BJT 2N3710 ? I have BC558 a Sub for 2N3710. The circuit board is not that challenging. The other transistor is a PNP. Probably the compressor Amp ?

Figure substitution of parts. Get them to work correctly quick. I have several working Turner +3 s.

Best thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Ok, I did some more searching, and I came up with this. Some of the +3 mics came with a TIS58 FET, and some with a 2n3219 bipolar. The TIS58 subs to an NTE132. Data sheet here: http://www.nteinc.com/specs/100to199/pdf/nte132.pdf. Hope this helps. 73s.

Great information: Thanks.
Shoosh was wondering LOL. I have been toying for a couple of years with an idea to assemble a Mic compressor fallowed by a Clipper AKA PC196 board or even AKA Lou Franklins board.. Turner board copy might be the ticket or Knight compressor copy.
Hopefully I have both among 14 Turner + 3 's ! Look at the reviews on EHamNet
on this 40 + YEAR OLD desk mic. !

This FET has a very High Impedance. Which matches the ceramic cartridge. I wonder if
the three mics that I thought were barely working are simply your mentioned differences.

Another Post possibly. But. These 3 websites are very helpful in finding antique/vintage

transistor substitutions. The first. Vetco. Is a old electronics dealer. EG. by typing into

Google.......Vetco NTE132. You will get an exhaustive list of OEM part #s that

NTE132 replaces. Several times. I have looked in my Junk Pile & found an OEM part with an OEM number to replace a part I needed. By reverse Substitution on Vetco.

These two Websites may well be the last functioning Transistor substitution data bases in the Internet world.

http://english.electronica-pt.com/components-cross-reference?ref=TIS58

http://www.icreplacements.com/T/TIS...ubstitute-equivalent-part-cross-reference.htm

http://www.vetco.net/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=1955

I owe I owe.Off to work I GO !

The L4 mod upgrade is Awesome. I heard local stations last night that did not move the meter on a Cobra139XLR.

If not to tired from work. DIY RF Probe for my VTVM. I found a Service Monitor identical to the one on the U-Tube video on the L4 mod in UK. $1,200.00 US + shipping. Oh well. Guess will have to keep using my Laptop audio generator
and signal generator with freq. counter.

Best

These mics were amazingly well built. My only real problem over the years with turner +3 mics has been the leaf springs and the battery connectors. I've never had anything else fail on one yet.

I just replaced my caps in a turner +3, 2 tantalum and the electrolytic's, sounds awesome

I use Sprauge audio caps in the 858. -Worth it-. A re-conditioned Turner 3 into an UPD858 SSB radio
that has been tuned a bit. They have a built in ; a Clipper. Is as good as you can get on AM
or SSB. at 3000HZ band-with.

I regularly without asking get glowing reports on SSB Skip. Or "What HF Rig are you using ?

Eh just a Cobra 139XLR or I may be using my Robyn 520D or updated Trc457 or Trc458
or Stalker 202 or Washington 858 or Madison 858. Been meaning to post at a later date- too busy. But the Stalker 202 has a different Audio circuit from the others. 457-458 upgraded as per 399's instruct-able. Finally picked up a 7.8 Mhz IF filter NOS. Ah which radio to put it in?

My opinion Turner 3 best Base microphone ever made.

Probably using"audio Caps will not make a difference versus good quality caps with low ESR and impedance. Some of the Chinese Caps are quite good. Been surprised a couple of times. Better than Nichicons and Panasonics and Cheaper !

You can use 4.7MF instead of 5MFD & so forth, On the Turner. The old adage if it aint broke don't fix it could apply here .

I would like to believe my re-capped turner 3 sounds better than the other turner 3s. Nobody seems to notice when I switch back and forth?

Best John

I know this is an OLD thread.

I just got a box a junked out turner mics, and have been able to piece together two working ones so far from the good parts. One super sidekick and one plus 3. The plus three got new electrolytics and both needed some wiring help. Most of the mics looked like a 5 year old had tried to repair them. Now they at least look like a 12 year old who is fairly handy repaired them.

I have a couple mic bodies that will probably just use the turner shell. I saw a video of Mike using the little adafruit electret mic boards. Seems like a good idea.

Ok, I did some more searching, and I came up with this. Some of the +3 mics came with a TIS58 FET, and some with a 2n3219 bipolar. The TIS58 subs to an NTE132. Data sheet here: http://www.nteinc.com/specs/100to199/pdf/nte132.pdf. Hope this helps. 73s.

I know this post is old but I am curious if you know where a schematic or parts list would be for the +3 with the TIS58? I have a board with some transistors that I do not think are correct. I do have the schematic with the 3219 in it.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.