• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Review of the Elecraft KX3 Ultra Portable HF/2m Transceiver

One thing I would like to mention is that I am disappointed that they are coming out with the amplifier before the VHF module.

I mean, the radio is a QRP radio. If you want a 100 watt radio, why not get the K3?

The K3 is a full size radio with a basic 10 watt model, upgradable to the 100 watt version. So from the get go, the K3 is slated as a "base" unit with enough room for the internal 100 watt board.

It is like buying a Yaesu FT-817 and then buying an amp so it puts out 100 watts. Why not just get the 857 or 897?

Get that VHF Module out Elecraft!

By the way, the title should be changed, this thread is a review of the Elecraft KX3 HF to 6 meter radio.

<More audio><More audio><More audio><More audio>

Elecraft just announced that they are now shipping the internal battery charger option. As I preordered this, I will be receiving mine as part of the early shipments. I'll have more information about this accessory as soon as I receive it.

I just received my KXBC3 charger today.

Will take pictures during the install and post them

I received my battery charger a couple of days ago and installed it this past weekend. The install is really straight forward - I was going to take pics and post, but the pics from Elecraft on their website are as good as anything I could have done. To install, you just remove the battery shield and replace it with a board that goes in its location. It's a really simple install.

The battery charger also includes a real-time clock which you can display on the main display, if desired. The charger is only intended to be used with NiMH batteries of size 1900 mAh or greater. One thing to note about the initial firmware on this charger is that it does not have any peak charge detection - it is a timed charge. You can set the charger to run for 4, 8. 12, or 16 hours. The manual provides a method for calculating the charge time for fully depleted batteries, and those more knowledgeable than me state that NiMH batteries are fairly tolerant to overcharge. Wayne from Elecraft has indicated that they can update the functionality of this charger via firmware and I'm hoping it can be updated to have peak charge detection.

A couple of other points to note: NiMH batteries are 1.2V devices. 8 cells, fully charged will provide roughly 9.6V to the KX3. Mine Eneloop batteries show 9.9V. At that power level, the KX3 reduces power output to 5 watts. Also, the default power off voltage level is set at 10V. This is a customizable setting via the menu and you should set it much lower, to something like 8.5V to maximize usage on AA batteries.

Before I stumbled across this thread, I ordered a KX3 and my options were exactly the same as yours. Intriguing only, because my knowledge level on these sophisticated transceivers is way less than yours.

I understand broadly what I/Q generation (or regeneration) is, and how it works, but I don't actually know what I and Q stand for. A google search of the web hasn't helped me as it seems to be a common acronym, understood by the people who write articles about it.

Before I stumbled across this thread, I ordered a KX3 and my options were exactly the same as yours. Intriguing only, because my knowledge level on these sophisticated transceivers is way less than yours.

I understand broadly what I/Q generation (or regeneration) is, and how it works, but I don't actually know what I and Q stand for. A google search of the web hasn't helped me as it seems to be a common acronym, understood by the people who write articles about it.

I=In Phase and Q=Quadrature.

The KX3 uses quadrature down sampling which is basically explained here

The I & Q mixer output is basically giving both the amplitude and phase of the signal to the PC software application so it can display the band in real-time.

Reactions: 1 person
Any further updates to your experience in the KX-3?

I absolutely LOVE this little rig. I take it with me every time we take an RV excursion and usually set it up with a small RC battery pack with some type of Buddipole configuration. For field day, I set up the KX3 in the back yard with the Buddipole at 20 feet in a vertical configuration and worked 40 and 80 meters at 10 watts. It is simply amazing how well this little radio hears.

The updates that they've made over the last year, which includes important DSP enhancements make this one of the best little rigs I have ever used.

I'm currently waiting on the 2 meter module and will use it on the base as a 2m SSB rig. If there is anything you would like to know about the KX3, don't hesitate to ask; I think I have using and setting up this rig dialed in.

And I won't sell it for another rig....until Elecraft comes out with the KX4 :)

P.S. I've also played a bit with the 100 watt amp with built in tuner. While pricey, it is VERY nice.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated