• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Rf Amplifier question

[unit25]aaron

Nov 10, 2015
Ok some of you may laugh for me asking this but i was wanting to know if i could make something like this http://www.freeradio.org/documents/6watrev2.pdf for cb. i have most the parts and think it would be a cool little project i could make to put with my small uniden 510 so if anyone could give me any tips or pointers on how to make it work it would be greatly appresated.

Thanks in Advance
Aaron

well only YOU know if you have the skills and knowledge to build something. BTW that is only 6 watts so I am not sure what the desire would be to build it other than to see if you can. You cannot drive a 6 watt amp with a 4 watt radio and even if you could the difference in signal is undetectable.

I don't think the transistor in that link is available anymore. I also tried to follow the link for the PCB board, and that link is dead, too.

Ok some of you may laugh for me asking this but i was wanting to know if i could make something like this http://www.freeradio.org/documents/6watrev2.pdf for cb. i have most the parts and think it would be a cool little project i could make to put with my small uniden 510 so if anyone could give me any tips or pointers on how to make it work it would be greatly appresated.

Thanks in Advance
Aaron

The only stupid questions are the ones never asked. If it can be thought of it can be made. Good luck my friend. 73

Thanks in Advance
Aaron

That RF amplifier is designed for the FM broadcast band 88-108MHz and is class C biased.

Short answer: It will not work.

Long answer: Even if you did get it down to the frequencies used by CB and biased it for class AB which is needed when using a radio that is already modulated you would only see 1/4 the power out of it, so 1.5 watts maximum carrier, going to 6 watts full voice modulation. Obviously far less power than your radio already does by itself as is.

Keep in mind that an external CB RF amplifier needs to be linear (class AB) if you are using the radios built in modulation. That means you need at least 4x the headroom to modulate it fully. Lets say you wanted to boost your CB 4watt output to 20watts, that would mean you would need at least an 80watt linear amplifier. The expensive transistors used and the low efficiency of linear amplifiers makes one question if the extra little boost of power is even worth it.
Usually far easier to use a better antenna rather than boost your output power (y)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.