• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

rf sheilding of computer in vehicle

680MAINE

May 31, 2006
A buddy of mine is having a problem when keying his big box it sets off his computer into a fritz engine warning lights and codes. IS there some sort of sheilding that can be done to the computer to protect it from stray rf. Its a dogde dakota?

The only thing he can really do, is make sure everything is grounded really good, his power wire should be fine BRAIDED(not just stranded) and be the right size.
The computer itself should be sheilded from the factory and grounded, but the wires going in and out the computer are'nt.
I'm sure there's someone here who has had to deal with this problem before.

680MAINE said:
A buddy of mine is having a problem when keying his big box it sets off his computer into a fritz engine warning lights and codes. IS there some sort of sheilding that can be done to the computer to protect it from stray rf. Its a dogde dakota?

What kind of vehicle is it?

680MAINE,
Something that I haven't seen mentioned is to stay as far away from the computer and it's associated wiring as possible. NO idea where the @#$ computer is located in a Dodge, so staying away from it may not be all that easy.
Filtering, by-passing, and all that stuff certainly won't hurt! The radio system, not the computer, since the car manufacturers sort of frown on messing with their stuff. Those manufacturers are sort of 'pessimistic' with their RF warnings, but a little 'crowding' may not be that bad. If the Dodge is still under warranty, don't mess with their stuff. If it's out of warranty, only mess with stuff you can afford to replace, you know? I wish him luck.
I also won't make the 'normal'/standard/typical comment about letting friends drive Dodges...
- 'Doc

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.