• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Scientists Predict Solar Cycle 24 to Peak in 2013

ARRL

Nov 15, 2008
At the annual Space Weather Workshop held in Boulder, Colorado last month, an international panel of experts led by NOAA's Space Weather Prediction Center (SWPC) predicted that Solar Cycle 24 will peak in May 2013 with 90 sunspots per day on average. If the prediction proves true, Solar Cycle 24 will be the weakest cycle since Solar Cycle 16 which peaked with 78 daily sunspots in 1928, and ninth weakest since the 1750s, when numbered cycles began.

More...

At the annual Space Weather Workshop held in Boulder, Colorado last month, an international panel of experts led by NOAA's Space Weather Prediction Center (SWPC) predicted...

I'm not sure I'd put a lot of stock in this, considering weather forecasters seldom make accurate predictions for greater than 2 days in advance.

We'll see...

Obviously not. However, the point is that scientific modeling is not capable of accurately predicting even relatively simple earthly phenomenon, let alone determining solar indices years in advance.

But thanks for asking. ??

Putting stock in Science is stupid, I agree.

...scientific modeling is not capable of accurately predicting even relatively simple earthly phenomenon, let alone determining solar indices years in advance.

speculation = conjecture = hypothesis

"Science can only determine what is, but not what shall be..." --Albert Einstein

-

Why do meterorologist never speak about stars? how would they know if a solar flare were going to happen tomorrow if they can't predict the weather for Saturday? or 2 days before the day after tomorrow?

Weather forecasters are meteorologists. Meteorologists do not have anything to do with predicting space weather as it is called. Meteorologists (try to) predict land based weather.

Weather forecasters are meteorologists. Meteorologists do not have anything to do with predicting space weather as it is called. Meteorologists (try to) predict land based weather.
I didn't think meteorologist predicted solar fares but I had to ask seeing that the accuracy of predicting them was compared to a weather forecast.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.