• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

scrwedriver antennas

I’ll echo Doc’s comments but put my own spin on it. Probably not much difference above 20 meters. On 40 meters and lower the working bandwidth of a mobile ant is very small. So the ability to tune it while driving is the convenience. Low band mobiling is not plug and play. When using a screwdriver you have to figure out how you’re going to tune it and how you are going to verify it with out causing QRM.

There are many manufactures of screwdriver ants out there, some using PVC pipe some using plated machined aluminum. Do your research before you buy. I have noticed that each area has a builder that every one says is the best. I think some rivals are trying to have a shoot out at Dayton but don’t think it will settle who is best.

If you’re new to low band HF I would start off with simple ham sticks to see if you actually like it. If your hooked and just got to check into that net on the top of 75 meters and then tune down to the bottom of 75 meters to work that DX while you driving to work then the screwdriver is the way to go.

I used one for 3 years on a pick up. After some initial debugging it worked great. Used the screwdriver for 160 through 15 and an SS whip for 10/12. All ways got compliments on signal. I would sometimes have other mobiles asking me about the setup, unfortunately some would have to have their messaged relayed by another operator, I think they were using bugcatchers………

</p>

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.