• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

setting vswr on ssb ????

B

BOOTY MONSTER

im just a cb'er but ive got a question for you hams . i know some ham radios are SSB only . how do you set the antennas vswr on a radio that doesnt produce a carrier like AM does ? do you use a different radio that is am capable near the ssb channels youre using and then swap back to the SSB model ?

Reactions: ShadowDelaware

Booty',
Most 'ham' radios are not just SSB. The mode can usually be changed from CW, AM, FM, and SSB, to almost any 'digital' mode by using various computer programs and feeding the audio into the mic-jack (and who knows how many other methods). So, finding SWR is done basically the same way as any other kind of radio. Depending on the particular radio, it can be just a matter of pushing the right button, the radio does it all by it's self, sort of.
Maybe just a little clarification about carriers/SSB/SWR and so on. A carrier isn't particularly needed to find SWR, only a signal going through the meter. Using a constant 'carrier'/signal is 'better' than using a varying one cuz then the 'needle' isn't jumping around because of that signals 'variation', or exceeding the meter's calibration limits. With a radio that only has AM mode, that's easiest by just using a carrier, no audio so no fluctuations. The same thing can be done on SSB by using a non-varying 'tone'. There's never any carrier with SSB, that's part of it's definition, right?
- 'Doc

Any HF radio will have at least CW or AM mode in addition to SSB. 99.9% of hams use the CW mode to produce a constant level carrier to check SWR. My Kenwood TS-820S has CW/SSB/FSK modes plus a low power TUNE mode. I generally use the TUNE mode which is simply a low power CW mode. Occasionally I use the regular CW mode at 100 watts if I know the match is close.

Booty',
Come on, don't give me that "I'm just a CB'er" thingy. Absolutely nothing wrong with being one of them, but it doesn't/isn't a very good 'excuse' for asking a question. We ALL have questions about things at various times, nothing unusual about that either. Typically, we all ask the same questions too (believe that or not). A few of us (me included) sort of ask the same question more than once, for whatever reason (my excuse is age and all that other stuff crammed in there to make me 'loose' the answer, sort of. Age is a very good excuse for a crappy memory!).
Asking questions isn't a 'bad' sign of a CB'er. Actually, it's a very good thing for a CB'er, or ham, or whatever else the ask'er might be. It means that they are thinking, which is very good!
It also sort of 'smacks' of false modesty. Now that's a waste of time, ain't it? It can also be misconstrued to be 'bragging'. Another one of those wastes of time. And no, I'm really not saying you have a problem with false modesty or bragging! Maybe not quite as 'learned' as some, but so what, we've ALL been there! Why worry bout it?
Biggest reason for not asking questions is because it makes the rest of us have to do some thinking. Some of us are lazy (my excuse anyway). Doesn't mean you shouldn't ask questions, probably a very good thing that you do. uh... scratch that 'probably' and insert 'definitely', if I have to be honest about it.
- 'Doc

PS - Why all of the above? Two reasons. One is just what it said. The other is that I killed my 'old' computer, had to get this @#$ #&#$% @#$^() piece of Vista OS'ed machine and am trying to get used to it. I Hate VISTA! Hate this new keyboard too.
One piece of advice I have learned the very hard way is that if you want to up-grade your BIOS, you'd better @#$ well know what you are doing! I gave up on finding all the drivers to change this Vista'ed thing to XP. If "Mr. Microsoft" ever shows his face within 100 miles of me, he had better hope I only have a pie in my hand! That is definitely a real-live threat.

i hear ya W5LZ .
the im just a cb'er thing was another way to say "dont get too technical on me " lol .
ill normally post a question on a few different forums if i think theres folks there that can answer correctly .

i am at times guilty of false modesty and bragging , but thanks for the compliment .
im fully aware that what ive learned here in the WWRF is more than ive learned from experience and i am somewhat of a parrot at times .

P.S. i wont even TRY to do a bios update . lol
i guess im lucky . i installed vista64 when i built me a new computer last fall .
(Q6600 , 4 gig ram , 8800 GTS .)
havnt had a bit of problems . vista does take a full gig or more of memory just for its self . how much ram are you running ? i went with 64 bit so i could make use of more ram .
vista is known to have hardware incompatabilities though .

also using xp drivers on a vista OS is gonna cause problems . you could always get an OEM version of xp , format your hard drive and install xp .
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&SubCategory=368&N=2060350368

Just for grins...
Dell.
Intel 'Core2'... 2.something Ghz speed. (64 bit)
3 Gig on-board memory.
1.5+ Terabyte storage.
Vista Home Premium (32 bit)... or more accurately 'two-bit'!
No serial port, not enough USB ports, no printer port.
External USB Hub, four more ports. Worked fine for about 6 hours. Then quit.
Logitec mouse that worked on everything, even this @#$ thing till today. Very jerky movement now, left and right buttons may/may not work with each press.
I'm so thrilled that I may take it back in the morning. Manager of the store sold it to me. May see if it fits his nethermost 'port', sideways! I'll furnish the UPS and see how long he can run!
You might say I'm not happy...
- 'doc

Disregard part of the bove. 6 - 8 hours later, I think I may have gotten the kittery mouse thingy 'cured' and i may let that salesman/manager kive a while longer. Also got the USP hub working again. Don't ask how, I have no idea. Think I'll have a stiff shot of Famous Grouse and go to bed.
- 'Doc

Hope that salesman/manager knows a good proctologist...

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.