• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

short through the roof mount

Splash1

Jun 11, 2006
tried a k30 mag..did well till rained then swrs in the red..figured the same hiegth through the roof mount would be the answer..i want a low profile that will hold the swrs but cant a brand that carries them..

Wilson 1000 is what you want. It's a bit longer than your K30, but works REALLY well.

I suspect that your 'K30' may have specific problems if it changes SWR that much when it rains, it really shouldn't (some, but not a lot of change). If there's a huge difference between the 'K30', 'K40', or a 'Wilson' of about the same length, it would really surprise me. I think it would be more a 'subjective' rather than an 'objective' type of difference. But, that's why there are so many different kinds/brands of antennas...
- 'Doc

the bottom magnet cover is a little nicked up,woud that cause this ? if so what material should it be replaced by ?

If the magnet covering is damaged, that might be causing your problem. Just depends on how damaged it is, sort of, and if there is other damage associated with it. That covering acts like the separation between the plates of a capacitor (magnet/car roof/metal). Changing it's thickness can and will change the effective 'capacitance' and so change how the antenna is tuned. Keeping as near to the original thickness is a good idea.
While that may be a problem, I have a feeling that it isn't the (only) cause of the problem you are having. No idea what the problem may be so can't say anything specific. I'd recommend a good 'general' look at things, no preconceptions going in, and see what you can find that's 'different'. Not a real good answer, huh?
- 'Doc

tried everything else so i guess im gonna put a new coax on it next.i have a new 20 footer from rat shack layin around..

welp,,i installed the new coax n swr was great.when i touch the meter or radio the needle moves on the swr meter.so i guess i got common mode currents..made a choke to stop common mode and the needle doesnt move at all anymore..but guess what,,now the swr is bad again..man i cant wait for that wilson short load to get here..

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    West indies and Australia coming in to South Jersey
  • dxBot:
    c316buckeye has left the room.
  • @ nfsus:
    Arkansas skip has been heavy at nights here lately. Australians all over the place
  • dxBot:
    RFactive has left the room.