• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Should I run additional ground on tram tri mag mount

ahanway

333/AKA Tripple 3
Aug 1, 2010
Nampa,Idaho
I will finally be seting up my mobile setup and I wiil have a 102" ss whip on a 4" ss hustler spring connected to a Preditor lug style stud mount.I will be replacing coax with the BR 240 double sheild coax and stud mount and i will have positive part of coax to the stud and the sheilding to a bolt at witch i will drill a hole and put a ss bolt and attach to the plate of the Tram Tri Magnetic Mount.But from that same point should I Run a extra ground 12 guage from that same point on the plate to the chasis.I will also be running atleast a 1x4 into that setup.

If that mag-mount is done correctly, and if you tune that antenna, then there's no need, or benefits, for any additional grounding of that mount to the vehicle's chassis. If any additional 'grounds' improve something, then you did it wrong to start with. Simple as that.
- 'Doc

Reactions: Groundhog KSS-2012
;)Thanks for the help .I finally installed this exact setup and had PERFECT swr on the setup.It really worked out to be a good clean setup but now its time to run power wires and amps.Thanks for the help.

I run 1000 pep through mine and have no mic feedback or swr issues without extra grounding but I did modify how the coax connected to the factory antenna mount which does away with the donut style connector at the mount base and uses individual ring terminals.

any pics for us inquiring minds to learn;)

Can you picture cutting the donut connector from the end of the original coax and adding a ring terminal on the center and shield leads of the coax and connecting the center lead to the antenna and you'll have to drill a new hole to bolt the shielded lead to the base plate of the tri-mag?

Hope this helps, a picture of mine would not show much as I've sealed the terminals in silicone sealant.

I run 1000 pep through mine and have no mic feedback or swr issues without extra grounding but I did modify how the coax connected to the factory antenna mount which does away with the donut style connector at the mount base and uses individual ring terminals.

Thank You for showing a picture of your Major Award.

I just did away with the stock coax and donut mount and put a preditor lug stud mount and put the center conducter part of the coax to the bolt at the bottom of the mount and drilled a small hole about 1" behind stud mount and put in a SS bolt and nut and that is were my sheild the the coax was mounted good and snug and then painted any exposed metal with paint.

I will finally be seting up my mobile setup and I wiil have a 102" ss whip on a 4" ss hustler spring connected to a Preditor lug style stud mount.I will be replacing coax with the BR 240 double sheild coax and stud mount and i will have positive part of coax to the stud and the sheilding to a bolt at witch i will drill a hole and put a ss bolt and attach to the plate of the Tram Tri Magnetic Mount.But from that same point should I Run a extra ground 12 guage from that same point on the plate to the chasis.I will also be running atleast a 1x4 into that setup.

You dont need a ground but if your having problems you can run a counterpoise. Just makes you mobile more like a dipole.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.