• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

SSB Carrier problem fixed. Check this out....

Okay. So I decided to play around with my SuperStar 3900 and my Galaxy 99V. Both which had carrier problems on SSB with massive TVI.

Turns out all it was is that someone had turned the Driver Bias all the way down to make it put out a few more watts on AM I guess. I keyed it, watched the TV and the power meter and started turning up the driver bias. When the TVI stopped, so did the carrier on SSB. Did it on both radios. Now they both work great on SSB.

The SS 3900 and 99V have the exact same PCB in it, with a little variance in parts. And of couse the Galaxy 99 has all those extra boards and connectors to make all the additional features work.

Now only problem I might have is with the SuperStar. Someone told me that when I turned the deadkey down below 2 watts using the AM power pot that it sounded like my audio was clipping. It can't be the mod limiter (TR-53) that has been removed. So what could it be? Also it's not very sensitive on modulation even with the Mic gain wide open. I have heard there is a mod that changes a resistor on the mic circuit that makes it more sensitive. Is this a good idea if it's not delivering the audio it should?

</p>

Okay. So I decided to play around with my SuperStar 3900 and my Galaxy 99V. Both which had carrier problems on SSB with massive TVI.

Turns out all it was is that someone had turned the Driver Bias all the way down to make it put out a few more watts on AM I guess. I keyed it, watched the TV and the power meter and started turning up the driver bias. When the TVI stopped, so did the carrier on SSB. Did it on both radios. Now they both work great on SSB.

The SS 3900 and 99V have the exact same PCB in it, with a little variance in parts. And of couse the Galaxy 99 has all those extra boards and connectors to make all the additional features work.

Now only problem I might have is with the SuperStar. Someone told me that when I turned the deadkey down below 2 watts using the AM power pot that it sounded like my audio was clipping. It can't be the mod limiter (TR-53) that has been removed. So what could it be? Also it's not very sensitive on modulation even with the Mic gain wide open. I have heard there is a mod that changes a resistor on the mic circuit that makes it more sensitive. Is this a good idea if it's not delivering the audio it should?

</p>

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.