• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Stealth base antenna

Highland Ranger

Aug 28, 2005
I am looking to buy a base station for the house (CB with SSB).

Need to figure out what to do for an antenna.

I can't hang a 30 foot antenna on the roof.

I could mount something to a fence behind some trees. It would have to be lower than 30' to remain inconspicuous

I could mount something in the attic

I could mount something alongside the chimey peeking a few feet over the roof but most of the mast would be alongside the house.

I could mount something small (8') on the deck but it would be 20' below the peek of the roof.

I am on a hill . . . . .

Bottom line, does it make sense to knock myself out or should I just hang a mobile antenna out the family room window?

Also, I do have a 20' aluminum flag pole . . . . any thing I could do with that? Slip an Antron a-99 inside it?

Highland Ranger,
A lot of 'base' CB antennas are less than 20 feet of so. Mounting one on a fence, or in the trees is an option to think about.
All 'attic' antennas subject the rest of the houise to near by RF, not always bad, but certainly has the potential to ruin TV. Still an option but maybe one of the last of them?
Mounting something on the chimney is a fairly good option ~if~ the antenna can poke above the chimney. Would 18-20 feet above the chimney be practical?
An antenna on the deck? Nother one of those near by RF sources so that's up to you. About 8 feet tall? Uh, not the worst idea in the world but also not the best by any means. Also want to think about someone touching it when you transmit (a no-no).
Flag pole? How about just attaching a flag to the 'A99'? Lots simpler. Artificial flowers around base to hide it?
How about hanging a wire dipole vertically from a tree? Possible?
Keep thinking, something will start to sound good...
- 'Doc

How tall are your trees? I used to live in a subdivision with antenna restrictions and bought an A99. Painted it with non-reflective paint that more-or-less matched the tree trunk, then hoisted it up along the trunk of the tree. You had to know it was there to really see it.

Reactions: TOGAMAN
Going to need at least 9' of coax under something like a A99 for it to work decent. There is smaller antennas than a A99 as well it all depends on what you want to do. I would recomend what ever is the highest and clear of metal objects.

18-20 feet above the chimney is way above the roofline - ng.

Haven't put up the flagpole yet - got it for father's day last year. Needs to go up in the spring when the ground thaws . . . . . . no substitutes without hurt feelings so not an option.

Trees are real tall. Problem is they MOVE in the wind and we get some decent gusts here on the side of the mountain. Dipole might work but I have no way to get up there and mount it.

And mounting it on top is out of the question - like 100 feet to the top of the tree. So if I mounted one of these fiberglass jobs along side the trunk - wouldn't that interfere with transmission?

DItto for the chimney - if I mounted it alngside the chimney and house with just a bit sticking over the roofline - wouldn't that kill transmission?

Fence might be good but nearest inconspicuous place would mean several hundred yards of buried coax.

Sigh.

HR,

trees tress trees! I have for years at my home ran a tree'd IMAX 2000 and the neighbors have no idea. If you have to, paint it a dull (non shining) color matching the tree trunk itself. Run it up as high as you can and ties it to the tree with nylon rope. I painted my rope and antenna poles the same color with cheap spray paint. Run the coax inside of the rope/tree trunk and along the ground into your home.

Trees have little afttect at our frequencies. Local and skip shooting has not been a problem. The top tip of my anttenna sits at around 80 ft, and the neighbors don't have a clue.

Alsworld

Reactions: TOGAMAN
Highland Ranger,
True, most of those locations have draw-backs. But so does not having an antenna! Just depends on how much of a draw-back you're willing to put up with, right?

Your trees (as suggested) are probably your best bet, even with long feed lines. There aren't very many totally invisible antennas so the trees offer your best bet that way too. (Don't go out of your mind/budget with the 'best' kinds of coax, just ain't worth it!)

Put the flag pole up in the front with THE flag. Put the antenna up in the back with your favorite teams flag/banner. (Remember the artificial flowers!)
- 'Doc

Sounds like a plan.

Now all I have to do is figure out how to get it up there without killing myself. (My climbing years are behind me - and most of these are ash - straight as an arrow and no limbs below 20' off the ground . . . . . )

Highland Ranger,
If "HE" had wanted me to get my A** more than about 2.5 feet off the ground 'HE'd' have made me taller. Ain't climbing no trees!

Select appropriate 'chunker', throw line over tallest limb possible, follow with heavier line. Tie antenna to line, pull rope till antenna off the ground. Works better than it sounds.
- 'Doc

Highland Ranger said:
Sounds like a plan.

Now all I have to do is figure out how to get it up there without killing myself. (My climbing years are behind me - and most of these are ash - straight as an arrow and no limbs below 20' off the ground . . . . . )

No need to climb a tree. Use rope as suggested. I always put my wire atennas in trees and I use a slingshot to get the rope over a limb. A CB antenna can go in the trees easily and tree movement is not a big problem. Paint the antenna (and feedline) as suggested and it will disappear in the trees. You can also use a fishing pole to catch lower limbs. And BTW, a fiberglass antenna is better in trees. The fiberglass protects the radiating element and keeps it out of contact with the tree.

Vote number three for trees, when camping I will use 30# test mono and a fishing pole to pull wires, my 2 meter ringo, any other screwball antenna up into the trees.
You can often be VERY suprised by how well this will work with a deepcycle batt, tuner and a 100 watt rig.
Or maybe Wayne will post some pictures of his antenna, I think it is up a little tree. ;)

Jeff

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.