• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Stud Mounts everyone.....

re: stud mounts

I have had the best success with the 10K stud mount. I like the ring terminal type, this way you can tighten real well, with no chance of shorting out. With repeated antenna removal eventually the treads will wear some...aluminum is soft. Still it's the best I have come across.

Yes, all the stud mounts that look like they will take the weight of a heavy antenna, have the ring termanal connectors. Everything with the SO-239 on the bottom of the stud, just don't look strong.

Chief, your right. That is the most bad ass mount I have ever seen ! Wonder how much it is ?

I've been looking around, and believe it or not Firestik has one mount that looks pretty tough for a cheapie. It's nothing like that M8 custom piece, however (bear with me here)

I looks like the the tipical dome mount but its not. Inside the plastic dome is a solid straight through stainless piece machined from 9/16 stock. It feeds through the mount plate with a 3/8-24 stainless steel bolt, and has lug terminal ends. The one with the so-239 connection looks weak though. Here's a pic. What do you think ? Looks to me like it fairly strong and no way it could short out ?

http://www.firestik.com/images/dm-4.jpg
http://www.firestik.com/Instl-Art/te-dm4.gif

That Hi-Q GQD mount is the one I use for my heavy HI-Q screwdriver. He has two different types, a stainless steel one which is heavier and stronger and an aluminum one. My screwdriver is much heavier than any competition style CB mobile and the mount can support it all by itself.

hiq4.jpg

I just got a 2'' dia. piece of solid 6061 aluminum stock today at a local scrap yard, and am heading to a friends house to machine my own on his Bridgeport mill / drill tonight. :shock:
:shock:
I'll keep you posted how it comes out ;)

Thought about the ball mount, but the antenna is mounted behind the cab on a 2'' wide steel strap. The ball would not fit on there.

I did finish the mini, hockey puck looking mount last night. I used solid 2'' Teflon stock for the insulator. It came out great.

Sounds good. I have no idea what works onna heavy antenna, my 10k is on a standard antenna mount, through an 1/8" thick piece of aluminum flat stock mounted to the front of my cap. Works fine.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.