• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Stupid question from a newby

genewiseman

Jan 9, 2023
I recently put up a couple of long wire antennas for shortwave listening ( not transmitting ). I had a big roll of electric fence wire so I used that. Does it hurt anything if you twist the wire to connect it to the insulators? The antennas work pretty well as is but if they could be better, then I would be all in for that.
Thanks a lot!
Gene

Gene: Your Welcome...Glad to help!
What radio are you using?
What configuration antenna did you make?

All the Best
Gary
My radio is a Tecsun PL-330. I put up long wire antennas at my house and shop. The antennas are bare electric fence wire attached to insulators terminated at the buildings and run to trees. The far end of both antennas is run through another insulator with a brick attached to it hanging a couple of feet from the ground. I have another wire about 15' with alligator clips on each end that I clip to the antenna and run through the doors. I can also clip to the other end at the tree if I want to listen outside. I have a campfire ring in the back yard and can hook up the antenna and listen right at the fire.

A: To see any difference using the 2-wire adapter you will need to have a wire that is more than 30 feet long (we recommend 60-100’) with a good ground wire. Insulated COPPER wire will last longer and should be stranded so it is more flexible. If you do not have a good ground, you are actually inputting noise. If you look at the 2-wire adapter (included) you will see an antenna icon and a ground (G) marking. You need to connect them properly when using an external antenna.

Don't worry about keeping your antenna being super taught!!!

My antennas drupe and move easily in the wind. They stay up for years!!! Keeping the wire "tight" only strains it...Floppy is better...no change in performance.
A good ground is critical for SAFETY and NOISE reduction. I have been SWLing for 60 yrs. also Amateur Operator for going on 40+ years (OMG/I'm OLD :ROFLMAO: )
Many here to help Gene
All the Best
Gary

Last edited:

A: To see any difference using the 2-wire adapter you will need to have a wire that is more than 30 feet long (we recommend 60-100’) with a good ground wire. Insulated COPPER wire will last longer and should be stranded so it is more flexible. If you do not have a good ground, you are actually inputting noise. If you look at the 2-wire adapter (included) you will see an antenna icon and a ground (G) marking. You need to connect them properly when using an external antenna.

Don't worry about keeping your antenna being super taught!!!

My antennas drupe and move easily in the wind. They stay up for years!!! Keeping the wire "tight" only strains it...Floppy is better...no change in performance.
A good ground is critical for SAFETY and NOISE reduction. I have been SWLing for 60 yrs. also Amateur Operator for going on 40+ years (OMG/I'm OLD :ROFLMAO: )
Many here to help Gene
All the Best
Gary
Thanks for the information! I have been unhooking it when not in use so I wasn't really worried about lighting but didn't realize that a ground wire would reduce noise. I guess that will be my next project. I am sure I will be back for more advice.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.