• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Super Star 4900 Base or what else do I buy?

H

HCD729

Hello everyone!!!

I just saw an ad for this one. It has a great freq range but that's about I know about it. Looks like another "Magnum Type" but maybe not. Does anyone have any info on this one?

I'm in the hunt for a base and it has to do 10 and 11 meters both because I will be taking the tech test next week.

If you don't know this unit then please ring in with your own personal recomendations as to what I should spend my money on.

I sure would appreciate the help!!! Thanks!

</p>

Stay away from the 4900B, it is a problem child and should be totally discontinued.

What is available is what you are will to spend, give us a price range.

charger3000.gif
</p>

Charger I have to say I expect to spend $450 to $500 for a great radio not including the extras like power mics and things like SP-1 and channel guard etc.

</p>

Well, I would go the RCI-2985 or Galaxy 2527, that will give you everything you need. You can also get a good mobile like the President Lincoln and hook it to a power supply as well. Just an idea anyway.

charger3000.gif
</p>

I agree with Charger, stay away from that radio. They were a great idea but the quality was very hit or miss. I ordered 4 of them for locals and only one of them has not been in for repairs and 2 of them have been back repeatedly for many different things. I wish they could fix all the problems with the radio though because like I said, they were a great idea with lots of neat features and looked pretty cool too. Later

biohaz01.gif

BIOHAZARD/ 613 OR/ AE-613/ 2DK9</p>

they are great radios in concept but, when uniden dropped the project and super star picked it up they put in the cheapest components to make the thing work to get it out the door. i run one and the only reason i'm selling it now is becuase i replaced it with a yaesu ft-847. i also had to change out the UNREGULATED power supply that put out 18 to 20 volts into 16 volt components some handled it quite well most were pushed beond their tolerance levels and failed. if you were unfortunate enough to fall for the hype of the dreaded turbo tunning the radio was a time bomb waiting to blow. so i like the unit alot now that i have invested the price of the radio, and an extra $60 bucks into it. it has performed for over a year flawlessly. there are a couple of other people around me that use them with the same upgrdes that love them. If uniden /president would have kept with the project it would have been all that with a six pack after the BJ tooooo.

CDX-251 2SF251 </p>

I also agree this was a very Poorly designed & performing radio in a "modern Ham" looking shell. Even the knobs feel "bad" & some make loud clicks!

It was Never, however, a "Uniden" concept or project. This radio is actually designed & built by Maycom,( see www.maycomcoltd.com) & is actually the Maycom BS-29 Base.

President Electronics in Europe (not part of Uniden)was going to buy these from Maycom & label them "PresidenT Roosevelts" Base, but never seemed to follow through, due to Quality issues w/the radio. President Electronics of Europe buys many of their radios from Uniden, but also some from other makers too, including Maycom.

Here in the states, the Radio made it here labled as a "Superstar 4900B" export radio, with no Warranty card or Company address anywhere on or in the box.......

</p>

just remember you can't use 10 meters on a tech ticket. You tech with code to use 10 meters.

ers

</p>

i like GM, but i suppose you like ford, and he likes dodge. all will get you from point a to point b. some will be faster and flashier others will be slow but powerful. but any of them can be junk or they can last a life time.

CDX-251 2SF251 </p>

I guess I have one of the 4900B's that actually works, but my complaint is with the modulation on sideband.

It is real weak on sideband, but good on AM.

If anyone has any ideas how to correct this, I would like to hear them.

I don't think you will find any 4900B's for sale (new) since I think they stopped importing them.

It seems like the 4900B, Magnum 257, Comanche Warrior, etc seem to be a bit light in the modulation department, on sideband at least.

Anyone else find this to be the case?

You can't go wrong with a 2950!

</p>

For a ssb mobile these days the 2950DX is the most stable readily available unit.

</p>

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.