• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Surface mount soldering question?

Techno1

Feb 21, 2022
New Hampshire
Anyone out here doing surface mount soldering.
If so what are you using for flux.
Im looking for a good Gel flux not the rosen core flux liquid.
I see on ebay in syringes but was looking to get in a bottle.
So if you are using a Gel flux what name brand.
thanks for any help.

Anyone out here doing surface mount soldering.
If so what are you using for flux.
Im looking for a good Gel flux not the rosen core flux liquid.
I see on ebay in syringes but was looking to get in a bottle.
So if you are using a Gel flux what name brand.
thanks for any help.
Amtech 559

I'm fairly new to gel fluxes myself, I currently have MG Chemicals 8341 and Chipquik's SMD291 (sample that came with low MP solder). Both work well. Of these two, I am leaning towards the MG Chemicals because it seems to be non-conductive and does a nicer job, but it takes a little more time with the heat than the chipquik stuff on oxidized surfaces.

For non-rosin liquid fluxes, I have Kester 951 and Chipquik CQ4LF. Both of them are considered no-clean (AFAIK). The kester stuff works great on clean surfaces and new components and leaves almost no visible residue and does not show conductivity once dry (my go-to liquid stuff right now), but it is not active enough to touch an oxidized surface and it evaporates fairly quick under heating. The CQ4LF is more active and I save that for more oxidized surfaces that the kester can't do. The oldest dirtiest copper pcb in my junk bin can take solder as is with the CQ4LF liquid flux, but I don't find myself using it that often. Only downside is a small amount of visible white residue and it's fumes are not very pleasant when soldering.

Not saying these are the best options, I've barely tried any, I just know these work ok for me. Collect a few options, get to know them, you might find you use them all for different tasks.

Once I collect a few more fluxes, I want to test how they compare, but on both clean and dirty surfaces and checking the conductivity of the residues afterwards, both when dry and after subjected to humidity.

Last edited:
Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
Yes I did read about it and if the color is dark its counterfeit.
I think the real deal should be almost clear in color.

I watched a video on Youtube last night

Yes I did read about it and if the color is dark its counterfeit.
I think the real deal should be almost clear in color.

I watched a video on Youtube last night
I just found this.

It isn't clear, but more whitish opaque. The real deal is great stuff. Better than anything else I have tried here. It costs way more than eBay prices if it is real. Amazon is loaded with fakes, but who knows until you get it.

I watched that exact video last night and hope its not fake as I will just call Amazon for a return and what they will do is refund my money and tell me to keep the Item.
Paid $18.00 with Prime shipping for 6 tubes/syringes

I watched that exact video last night and hope its not fake as I will just call Amazon for a return and what they will do is refund my money and tell me to keep the Item.
Too cheap for real stuff.....if it seems too good to be true, you know the rest.

Real Amtech, is like $16 each in quantity 5.

Last edited:
The link you sent, is 10 syringes, not 6. The counterfeiter, didn't even take the time for a spell check on the label. "ADVABACED" You are wasting your time with that rubbish. Send it back!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.