• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

"SWL Booster Shot"

Wharfmaster

Sep 6, 2008
swl-rban.jpg

An SWL Booster Shot
By: W2CRW

Undoubtedly, we all know how modern technology has improved the world of communications with the advent of satellite radio, streaming video/audio and instantaneous chat session via the Internet. It is indeed an exciting to be alive!

But, I will never forget the excitement and thrill that I experienced the first time I successfully intercepted the radio frequency signals from HCJB – Quito, Ecuador. It was on a cold October evening back in 1964. I was slowly tuning the big dial on my portable Globemaster Radio, a gift from my father, and heard my first international radio station. I will always remember yelling downstairs to my parents; “Hey Mom & Dad! I’m listening to Radio HCJB from South America!” They both ran upstairs to my very primitive ‘radio shack’ and reveled in the joy they had created for their young boy.

It was'nt long after that when I got my WPE2LVG monitor designator from Popular Electronics. I started logging the stations I heard and sending them signal reports. When the wonderfully designed QSL cards started showing up at my house, I was… well, you know… totally hooked!

I tell you that little story only to explain why, after 59 years of enjoying Shortwave Radio Listening, I am saddened to know that this wonderful hobby has fallen to the wayside due to the ease of gaming and chatting online and other various enticements accessible to young people these days. It is for that reason that I decided to try giving SWL’ing a ‘shot in the arm.’ A bit of a boost; if you will.

Although it has been tried before, I have gone ahead and designed a website whereby individuals anywhere in the world, young or old, Ham or CB’er, male or female can easily obtain their own (or give as a gift) a free International SWL Designator. I am using a 56 sectored (Time-Zone Based) system as an SWL’er locator on our shrinking world. Applicants are assigned a unique monitoring station designator (i.e. callsign), and can also obtain an Official SWLR Certificate should they desire to order one.

It will be my pleasure and an honor to issue anyone their SWLR Designator and add them to the International Online Directory.

For more details visit: International SWL-Registry

Or contact me:
Clifford R. Williams – W2CRW
Email: registrar@swl-registry.com
Write: 87 Everett St., Rochester, NY 14615 USA

Pretty much the same story as mine. I started with an SX-99 and a 25' piece of bell wire running kittycorner across my bedroom ceiling. HCJB was one of the first stations I heard.

Got my ham license in '59 (KN7KBN). Dropped the "N" six months later, and along the way picked up WPE7YQ.

Glad to see the SWL registry back online.I had registered at the old site and was wondering if you have a list of those callsigns you could add to the new site??

Excellent idea, IMD262! I will work on incorporating the original US "QSL Callsign" system into the International SWL-Registry and begin offering the QSL Callsigns again. Thanks for support!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    BLACKOUT HF
  • @ BJ radionut:
    I am beginning the packing process...XENIA bound Going "Lite": this year....2 items for sale...Rig #1 = FT-920/Gud to Ex condition/Hand Mike/pwr cord/manual (NO BOX) ... #2 = My 1 owner FT-950....EX condition...Original Shipping Double Box/Factory Manual/Never used hand mike...Booths 9107-9111...Ya'al come by say hello...
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Incoming Region Produces X3 Solar Flare
    May 15, 2024 @ 14:55 UTC
    Another major solar flare, but this time from an active region just beginning to turn into view off the east limb. It is possible that the group responsible is old AR 3654 from the previous rotation. The latest flare, an X2.99 event just peaked at 14:38 UTC (May 15). Stay tuned