• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

SWR and Power

skirk55

Nov 6, 2006
Bucks County Pa. 18940
Today I put a new tip on my Hustler HQ-27 because I changed radios and it was tuned for my Cobra that died. So I got the SWR set at 1.1-1.5 that is good enough for me. Then I go and get fuel in my truck. On the way I decide to take a ride and listen to my radio and try it out. I turn on channel 19 and there is a Driver talking and it is loud and clear. My meter is pegged! WOW I did it look at the reception. I am feeling very good. All of my work payed off. Now I know how important SWR adjustments are. Then I noticed a Large 18 wheeler next to me with a Predator antenna then I noticed he was talking on his mike. Then I noticed every time he put the mike to his mouth I herd a Driver on the radio. Then it hit me like a bag of bricks. It's him! What a let down. How often has this ever happened to anyone. Now the reception is the same. I cant tell the same but it's done right. :oops: :x :roll:

Nope! Can't say that I've ever done that.
- 'Doc

PS - Didn't say I hadn't, just that I can't 'say' that I have. Blood rushes to my face and my feet go to sleep.

skirk55, could you tell us exactally how you determined you needed to change the tip?

Lazybones1222,
You mean you've never done something that had 'miraculous' results? And then found out later that those 'miraculous' results were because of something else entirely? I have, and it usually means I have a headache and my feet have gone to sleep. Feet sleeping cuz of all the blood rushing to my face from blushing. Headache from banging my head on something hard.
- 'Doc

That reminds me of when I was playing around with HF mobile antennas and my new Yaesu FC-40 auto tuner. I had decided to switch over to a simple 8 foot fiberglass whip for all band HF and let the auto tuner handle it. I sat in the truck for quite some time dialing up frequencies throughout the HF spectrum and letting the data get programmed into the memories so the next time I went to the same freq. it would tune instantly. I filled up about 135-140 memory positions of the 200 available and everything was matched great.Then I got out and walked around the back of the truck and saw the friggin' 20m Hamstick on the mount where the 8 foot whip was supposed to be!! :shock: All the tuner info was wrong. :oops: I had to do it all over again.On my second attempt I learned what happens if the car next to you (my wife's) pulls away after setting the tuner AGAIN. :oops: :oops: Never tune the lower HF bands in close proximity to another vehicle unless it will remain attached to YOUR vehicle. (sigh) At least I got experiance in loading tuner data and resetting the tuner's microprocessor that day. :roll:

BTW Doc,I COMPLETELY understand the cause of your headaches. ;)

Marconi I was tuning my Cobra for the first time and I wanted to get it as low as I could. I CUT TOO MUCH OFF! Yes the instructions said cut 1/16" each time I took about 3/8" each time. I cut it got better I cut again it got better so I cut again it got higher. So I ordered a tip for my radio and re-tuned it. Much better results the second time.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.