• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

SWR HELP!!!

JDWilbourn

Feb 10, 2007
Huntsville Al
I have a new K-40 antenna, 49" whip. Checked swr's and 40 was higher than 1. started to shorten the whip and it was getting better, 1 was about 1.25 and 40 was about 2 then I shortened it another quarter inch and it went to hell with 1 over 2 and 40 over 3.5. What do I do now?

might need to get a new whip ? don't feel bad though , been there done that a few times over the years, placement as Karo asked you might have had something to do with it and not so much the whip itself , ground could more then likely be an issue as well.

Its on the mirror bar. I'm about to go shorter on the whip. Worst case is I have to buy another one. The whip now is at 46 1\8" overall its a little over 5' from tip to mounting bracket. ??

WHOA! Before you do that, straighten out a hanger wire and replace the whip with it. Snip and clip that instead of trimming the whip. It sounds as if you cut TOO much if it was 1.25 @ channel 1. By trimming the hanger wire, it will give you a better idea of which way to go! :D I've used this little trick for years!

CWM

Well after I started cutting it down a little further my swrs are down to 1 on 20, 1.25 on 1 and a little less on 40. I think this is about the best I'm going to get.
I'll keep the coat hanger trick in mind for the next time thanks

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.