• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

SWR issue

fish

Dec 27, 2009
Concord NC
I have Barker and Williamson follded dipole that has been in the air for 5+ years. I am starting to see higher swr and a drop in watts out of my amp in some bands- 17 meter is my favorite band and my 811H used to blow 500-600pep, and now I only see 200 pep. 40 meters still sees 800 watts but swr is higher. What problem am I seeing? coax? antenna? It has been better than a year since I have been on this radio in HF and I wonder what is a foul?:censored:

fish

The first obvious question is, are there any 'obvious' differences/changes in the antenna? May not be a huge difference, but any at all? One of the separators not in the same position, the whole antenna slightly 'off' in some way, something like that? Not that those little changes should make that much difference, just a starting point for maybe not so obvious changes. Is there any change in the 'lump' directly over the feed point in that top wire? That's one thing that can make a very large difference. Since it appears to be frequency related, I'd take a look at anything that might affect frequency usage. And since that thing was around long before the WARC bands, I'm surprised it works there at all.
Good luck.
- 'Doc

SWR

I would look at the antennas feedpoint-moisture might have gotten into the feedline
or the connector-maybee a crack in the feedline somewere-could be the antennas soldier
joints have degraded-crystalized ?-has the angle between the wires changed?
I would ck these all out.Good Luck

Paul K8PG

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.