• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

swr question

albino128

May 22, 2008
Washington, IN
Installed new magnet mount antenna for my Kenwood TM-V708 dualband, When setting setting swr I get a 1 to 1 on the 440 but when I check it on 144 I have a 2 to 1, just asking what I am doing wrong, Thanks

You're probably not doing anything wrong. VHF/UHF dual band antennas are generally good to go right out of the box, and yours sounds like it's just fine. There's nothing wrong with 2:1, and if you try anything drastic for one band, like cutting, you'll affect the other band as well.

albino128,
It sort of depends on the antenna being used, all of them are not exactly 'created equally', sort of. I've found that the typical dual-band antenna usually seems to be 'better' on 2 meters than on 440. (Don't take that as 'gospel', I certainly haven't tried them all!)
Optimizing your antenna is certainly one option that might help. I don't mean just changing it's length, but making sure set-screws are tight, it's positioned in a 'good' location (not too close to other stuff), and like that. If there's any change when re-positioned you might start looking for that 'best' location thingy. If/when you've done all that, then you can start thinking about changing lengths or 'tuning' the antenna, if possible. Lots of possible 'cures' for high'er SWR, do the least 'permanent' or 'drastic' stuff first.
- 'Doc

(Being a happy owner of a '708, I just know the problem has to be with the 'stinking' antenna! ...and I got this bridge for sale?)

I have never known a dual band 2m/70cm mobile antenna that needed to be adjusted for a good SWR. All the ones I have had/seen worked great out of the box. I will agree with Doc in that most of then have a slightly better match on 2m then on 70 cm. Usually once you start messing around with section lengths you end up really messing things up.Those sections are the proper lengths to allow proper matching and phasing on both bands.

SWR

Where have you check it? 144.0/145.0/146.0/147.0? and it stays 2:1 all the way across? Make sure you turn off your automatic repeater offset when setting up for proper measurements...
Like DOC and others state it is common for most Dual-Banders to be set right out of the package. I would be surprized if it was 2:1 across the entire 2 meter band segment...most of those are set at 146.52 simplex pretty much the center of the segment...place the antenna in it's final resting location and check throughly again...Good Luck and let us know what you find after further testing. I would check it at 145.5/146.5/147.0...
All the Best
BJ

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.