• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

talkback on a galaxy dx 66v

fnkycoldmedina

May 18, 2005
pa
is there a way to turn the talkback down on the 66v?down ..not off ...i know how to put in a switch to turn it on n off but i like it on ,just at a lower volume.there must be a resistor in there somewhere that controls the volume???

thanks freecell i know how to disable the talkback .i just want to turn it down .has to be a resistor control on it somewhere??justin gave me a tip but it didnt pan out .

I think he means that the lower you set the modulation (mic gain), the lower the TB volume will be.

ok i know this thread is antique....but maybe someone can shed some light on this 66v i have on the bench.
a friend brought me a 66v with the squealing syndrome. mic gain to high talkback squeals...i took a 470 ohm resistor put it on the c155/r207 pads to the c187/r235 pads to calm it down some. still couldnt turn the mic gain up much. seemed that it changed the tone a little but not really the volume of it.
so i thought... talkback on a switch. ok easy enough right? clip j15 and put a switch in line..........ok talkback is still there with j15 cut. no switch in line yet. cut j15 talkback still works. hmmmm....any ideas?? at this point disabling talkback would be fine.. using a big hammer would do it right??? LOL

have you tried a good noise cancelling mic?like rk56?
what i wound up doing was
put a resistor inline with the hot side of your ext speaker line,provided you use a external speaker.experiment with different values until you find what works best with said mic .
this will tame the talkback down,but in turn it also turns down listening volume .to overcome this you will now have to turn up your radio higher to hear it ,but talkback will remain the same as its volume is fixed.

thats the way i went .

something else you could look into is .
theres usually a wire coming off the echoboard board going to ground.try desoldering that wire .if talkback is now disabled then we got something to work with.
you can now solder in a resistor at the end of that wire and solder the resistor where the wire was,you can now control the talkback by resistor choice inside the radio.

let me know how you make out.

I had to disable the talkback in my 99V for all of the same reasons. I like having talkback, but I'm afraid this is where Galaxy radios truly dropped the ball. The rest of radio is xlnt - but the talkback is - forgetaboutit.

I mounted a switch on the back of my radio to shut off that circuit. It is the only fix that works - IMO...

i found it, it was d80 it was clipped. i didnt think it was at first cause it was still there. i gave it a little pry and it stood up. so i pushed it back down flat and soldered the wire back together. j15 was still clipped, i hooked er back up and no talkback..woohoo. saved my hammer too. so now for the switch on the back. thanks guys, dang fast reponses too. i was coming back to say that i had found it and 2 reponses already. happy fathers day guys.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.