• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

The other Numbers - Antenna Analysis

C2

Aug 3, 2005
How can you use the other numbers in antenna analysis, such as:

VSWR
Return Loss
Real Impedance or Resistance (R)
Complex Impedance or Reactance (X)
Rho
Phase

For example, I have the following numbers:

VSWR: 1.10
Return Loss: -26.56 dB
Real Impedance or Resistance (R): 0.91
Complex Impedance or Reactance (X): -0.02
Rho: 0.047
Phase: -169.1 degrees

What numbers would you want to see on what you've built? Especially the phase - which would indicate a major skew - right?

I think I'm not sure...

I've seen different descriptions for Magnitute and Rho, and I'm not sure exactly which one I have.

Rho was defined as the peak voltage to current ratio or as the reflection coefficient.

What I've been wanting to do is use the Magnitude, Phase, and Frequency values, exported as CSV into Excel, run whatever appropriate calculations to get the X and R values, and then make plots with VSWR, R, X, and all the other fancy stuff one would want to see in one plot...but so far everything I've tried does not give me valid numbers for R and X. Of course I can see these values one by one on the instrument software, but a graphic of the entire sweep would be more revealing...

BTW, phase angles indicate the phase between voltage and current. Higher values mean more reactance, but what happens at the +180 degree, -180 degree transition?

If you note the values above, the phase angle is -169, but reactance is almost 0...

This is where the Smith plot transitions from Capacitive reactance to Inductive reactance (crosses the horizontal line) and is near resonance (R = 45.5 Ohms, VSWR = 1.10).

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.