• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

The Saga Continues....Sort Of

Wire Weasel

Senior Moment
Dec 13, 2008
Okay so I wanna stick the new Magnum OF in the vehicle and bring the 100W Galaxy back in for the base.....a base needs to be a base ya know...gotta slap a big signal around to keep the kiddies in check.

So I put the Mag in the truck and run into town on errands. Have a'95 GMC truck with auto tranny....has electronic shifting.

So the power leads are laying about on top of the transmission hump and apparently the radio is picking up electronic garbage off the transmission or engine and it is interfering with the radio's microprocessor and is doing all kinds of crazy crap like changing channels and functions by itself. Otherwise the receive was great and the ANL/NB was providing a great clean sound.

So I figured it would help if I gathered up the power leads off the top of the transmission hump. I coiled them up in a fist-sized coil and ran most of it through a torrid choke I had available. Well this inducted all the ignition noise and I was left with a receive full of motorboat.

Can't win for losing. Magnum's back inside. That's okay....it's a great radio, just have less power than the Galaxy.

What model of Galaxy are you referring to? I have the DX99V - and the OF blows it away. I have my Galaxy 99V in my vehicle and my OF on the base.

What Galaxy model/specs are you using?

Magnum radios = great audio,shitty receive!

I dont know why they wont fix it.
I think that the receive is a little hashy; but it is pretty sensitive. I am waiting to find a schematic on it, so I can give it the Shottky diode 1N6263/transistor mod 2SC2999E treatment. I've seen my other radios respond most favorably with this mod.

It really is a keeper -IMO - since I have these parts already. Just need to know what places to put these parts in. RF Limited doesn't/hasn't given that info out as yet. CBTricks only has the alignment data...

I think that the receive is a little hashy; but it is pretty sensitive. I am waiting to find a schematic on it, so I can give it the Shottky diode 1N6263/transistor mod 2SC2999E treatment. I've seen my other radios respond most favorably with this mod.

It really is a keeper -IMO - since I have these parts already. Just need to know what places to put these parts in. RF Limited doesn't/hasn't given that info out as yet. CBTricks only has the alignment data...

Well let us know how that works. I love the way they sound and look but as they are,i would not have one just because of the receive problem.

Well mine is working beautifully as a base. Receive is wonderful. And I have experience going back to the mid '70's including many a ham rig. Now, Magnum has many models. I only have experience with this one so that's the only model I can speak towards. All of my early problems were only the result of not reading the manual carefully enough and not paying enough attention to all of the settings.

Hey Rob, don't have the schematic for the new Omega Force? One came with the radio, I'll mail it to ya and ya can get it back to me later.

Well mine is working beautifully as a base. Receive is wonderful. And I have experience going back to the mid '70's including many a ham rig. Now, Magnum has many models. I only have experience with this one so that's the only model I can speak towards. All of my early problems were only the result of not reading the manual carefully enough and not paying enough attention to all of the settings.

Hey Rob, don't have the schematic for the new Omega Force? One came with the radio, I'll mail it to ya and ya can get it back to me later.
A schematic for this radio? Too cool!
If ya can scan it and send via email, that would be better for you and me. When I find out where the first IFamp, N/B diodes - I'll replace them and see how it works out.

Nah I don't have a scanner Rob. PM me your mailing address, I'll send it to you. Keep it for a few weeks. It's pretty sweet. Big glossy fold out. Schematic on one side, pictoral on the other.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Tim Chambers:
    Pres. Bill 2 FCC mod just posted
  • @ AWP:
    Is it possible to be on a lake and have a homing directional beam being emitted from the shore so a person could navigate to that beam's source? For example at night to a jetty.
  • @ BJ radionut:
  • @ wavrider:
    sea que sea que,