• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

The Sun is About to Flip

ARRL

Nov 15, 2008
Scientists predict that the sun’s magnetic field is about to flip, according to a NASA Science article. The celestial event may mark the midpoint of the current solar cycle 24.

“It looks like we’re no more than 3 to 4 months away from a complete field reversal,” the article quotes solar physicist Todd Hoeksema, the director of Stanford University’s Wilcox Solar Observatory. “This change will hav...

More...

last I read,, didn't it 1/2 flip and the poles were actually the same polarity and they are waiting for the other pole to flip?

I don't think that can happen, how can you have a positive without a negative or a negative without a positive?

"The sun's north pole has already changed sign, while the south pole is racing to catch up," says Scherrer. "Soon, however, both poles will be reversed, and the second half of Solar Max will be underway."

The Sun's magnetic field is about to flip

this article is from a few months ago, but I know I saw the same type of article on the front page of yahoo not too long ago that the poles were the same and waiting for the other to change

if both poles are the same then the center belt around the sun from the pic I saw on the other article becomes the opposite pole.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.