• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

trying to get world wide again

Ed,

I do the same thing you're talking about here, ultra mod. I have my own modulator design (a series mod, class A) that I played with a bit. It will modulate up to a single class C 80 watt PEP transistor. I use it to modulate a Cobra 2000. LOUD, yeah.... 75 watts carrier, 750 PEP, right near 550 avg modulated. I do run outboard audio gear as well.

The PROBLEM with "ultra mod", "super mod", etc. is..... The typical diode detector starts getting REALLY ugly (introducing distortion) after about 125 to 150 percent mod.... You can switch to SSB and the distortion goes away...

There are other types of detectors, which I'm sure you know of, pullens, etc. that you can use that WON'T DISTORT UNDER REALLY HIGH LEVELS OF MOD.

ALSO, the "anl' and 'nb' REALLY add distortion when running LOTS of modulation! Inevitably, if I get someone bitching about how distorted the signal is, I can tell them to turn their ANL or / and NB off, and ALL the distortion goes away... THEY are amazed. lol. Most diode ANL's start introducing distortion at about 40 percent modulated carriers, in CB's from what I've seen.

Looked back over your original post I commented to... Yeah, I think I'm just too tired to comprehend Canadian today :)~~~ (tongue in cheek).

Anyway, time to get something else done...

--Toll_Free

Ed,

Was that you that checked into the AMI net from .ca this Wednesday?

Don't have the link tuner up, so can only run 100 watts here into the remote tuna, but nice signal into central cali, if that was you on 80.

--Toll_Free
If that was the California AMI net, No.

I typically join in the Canadian informal net on 3725. I don't know of any active AMI nets here in the North East. I typically run either a Heath Apache, or a DX-100. My antenna is up at 60+ feet so I get out well with 100W. I'm still rebuilding my home-brew 813 rig. It runs two 813's modulated by a pair of 810's. (Can put out about 750W; I run it at about 500W.) That rig runs the "three-diode circuit" negative peak limiting. I can get almost 200% positive mod out of it, but run it at about 140%; sounds better on most receivers.

If that was the California AMI net, No.

I typically join in the Canadian informal net on 3725. I don't know of any active AMI nets here in the North East. I typically run either a Heath Apache, or a DX-100. My antenna is up at 60+ feet so I get out well with 100W. I'm still rebuilding my home-brew 813 rig. It runs two 813's modulated by a pair of 810's. (Can put out about 750W; I run it at about 500W.) That rig runs the "three-diode circuit" negative peak limiting. I can get almost 200% positive mod out of it, but run it at about 140%; sounds better on most receivers.

Yeah, it was the Cali AMI net.

I guess I should have qualified my 100 watts.... That's 100 percent flat out PEP.. lol. AM power is a measly 20 watts of carrier :(

Like the transmitter. I'm REALLY envious of K1JJ's new rig, a pair of 4-1000s modulating a single 4-1000. Me WANTS!

I do use a keepalive in my class A modulator. I can dial the carrier to any 'keepalive' threshold I want, can make for some interesting waveforms on the scope...

Anywho, time to get to work.

--Toll_Free

What's happening TOLL_FREE?

I got the JB12RB gonna use it to drive the JB200A (with base power supply).

Would that be good for 200 watts or so?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.