• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

TS-870

W5LZ

Crotchety Old Bastard
Apr 8, 2005
Oklahoma
I've gotten a wild hair lately and am thinking about getting a Kenwood TS-870. Anyone here have/had one and what can you tell me about them?
- 'Doc

Kenwood TS-870S...... Type: Amateur HF transceiver
Frequency range: TX: 10-160 m + WARC
RX: 0.1-30 MHz
Mode: AM/FM/SSB/CW/FSK
RF Power output: Max 100 W (AM 25 W)
Sensitivity: N/A
Selectivity: N/A
Image rejection: N/A
Voltage: 13.8 VDC +/- 15%
Current drain: RX: 2 A
Impedance: 50 ohms, SO-239
Dimensions (W*H*D): 330*120*334 mm
Weight: 11.5 Kg
Manufactured: 1995-19xx
Other: DSP. Built-in auto AT: 20-150 ohms
New price 1995 in Sweden: 28828:- SEK........................
Seems like a nice rig but I have have not ran one I have had 4 Kenwoods and havent had one I didnt like I currently have in the Kenwood line of radios a Kenwood Ts-50 TS-430 and have a TS-440 coming back in a few weeks all have emaculant recieve the best in my opinion I have 2 Yaesu FT-840 they are great aswell but I still think the recieve on the kenwoods is better now again thats just my opinion and can be based on just where I live and my QRM or interference causes and levels

... Well, decided not to get the '870. Got a TS-850sat instead. It'll be the second one I've owned. The first, may it rest in peace, was one of the very early models so had it's share of 'bugs'. The last 'bug' was one of the 'gazillian' leg chips going bad. Sort of like one of the VCOs turning loose. All the available replacement chips are from the same place and are not exactly the most reliable. I figure I have enough 'extra' parts to last my life time, some of them also no longer available. Really cn't understand why Kenwood dropped the '850s, it was the best they ever made in my opinion. 'Sides, I won't have to learn anything 'new'!
I'm off to go pick it up in the morning, so probably at least a couple of days to get it on the air (re-string the @#$ antenna again). You guys better enjoy those couple of days, when you hear my 'new' radio you'll be ashamed of yours...
- 'Doc

PS - As the saying goes, "If you ain't got Kenwood, you got squat."... couldn't resist!

Mike,
Oh yes, I am enjoying the '850. Got a few 'organs' from the old 'donor' put in, the Inrad 8 Mhz filter won't fit though, odd. The 455 one does though, so got the 2.1 filter back again (beats the 1.8 Kenwood filter without even trying). Think I'll dump the voice recorder, never used the thing in the old '850. Oh well, when a radio is this close to perfect, just doesn't take much to make it so!
Didn't know/remember about thge Yahoo 850 group, may go take a look. See if there are any 'new' mods (doubt it).
- 'Doc

Hey Doc, is that voice recorder a DRU-3. If it is I would be intersted in taking it off your hands. The 850 was probably the best rig Kenwood ever built.
Ed

Ed,
Yes, it's the DRU-3. If you really want it, it would be priced 'half' of whatever the retail price of the thing is/was. And not that I would want to discourage you, but why would you want it? I found that in all the years I've had it I may have used it 'seriously' maybe half a dozen times. ("un-seriously" there is a trick you can play with it, as in record at the longer record time, play back at the shorter record time, and you sound like one of the 'Chipmonks', woo-pee!)
And you are right, there just isn't anything 'better' than the '850, who needs all the 'bell$-n-whistle$' available on the newer radios? I also found that the old 'JPS'(?) DSP filter thingy did much better than Kenwood's DSP-100(?)... and cheaper - lol.
- 'Doc

Oops, should have said that as old as the DRU-3 is, it's original box is long gone.

...and unfortunately, it's gone. Listed it on 'eHam' and 10 hours later I waved good'by. Sorry.

Karo,
I can understand why you'd be reluctant to fire up a '430, so I won't make you ;)
Owned a few of them too...
- 'Doc

I thought maybe Santa brought you a IC-7800 or Orion. On second thought.... You wouldn't be crazy enough to get rid of a good radio for either one of those. I would trade my 850 for a 7800 but ONLY so I could sell it and take the BIG $$ and buy LOTS more 850's :D

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.