• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Tube -vs-Transistor

Quiksilver

Oct 23, 2006
Washington State, USA
Another question.
Do tube amps offer better audio & cleaner signal that a transistor amp? I'm looking for clean audio (aren't we all) not bone shattering super bowl audio. I would be running it behind a Cobra 2000GTL through a I-10K G/P.
Thanks!

Tube versus transistor ? Hmm that is an ago old question.I have heard both amps sound very good over all and heard both sound like crap.Just depends on what you are looking for......

Tubes tend to wear out over time and will need replacing,and will also need an occasional retuning in certain amps,some tube amps you will have to tune and load to get it set up as it is intended,if improperly tuned you could damage the tubes or another area in the amp...and tube amps tend to be in a bit larger box

In most cases transistor amps are usually plug and play.Just throw a switch and you are good to go and tend to be in a bit smaller box for the given power rating

If properly set up both amp types will give you good clean clear audio without splattering all over a given band,it all depends on what you personally are looking for in an amp.......

but for me personally I say a real radio or amp glows in the dark :tongue:

Tube amps also just plug into the wall. They have their own power supplies.

A big transistor amp...of the "CB" variety are always going to be 12v mobile style and you'll need some whamping big 12v power supply to run the thing off of. Large power supplies are pretty spendy.

I had a pretty decent 1 4CX-250B box , but it drew a lot of amps so I had to run a H/D cord to the wash room where the dedicated circuit was. XYL flipped out, so the box had to go. :angry:
Neighbors knew when I was "on the box", but that was thru a Maco V5/8 (which I had to take down. long story). I should have the I-10K up in a few weeks. Heard TVI is not that bad with that antenna.
I'm just looking to get out of the mud if need be, and not disturb the neighbors. Unfortunately, I live in one of those postage stamp neighborhoods.
Maybe a 1 tuber that will run on 110V or a small 1-2 pill box. If I have to upgrade my Astron RS-35M, I'll do that.
Thanks gang!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.