• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Uniden Grant XL ???

Mudfoot

Elmer
Jun 17, 2009
Southeast Ohio
So, I picked up this nice Uniden Grant XL recently. It's in real nice shape and plays real nice. This is about the 3-4th Grant I have owned over the years. All the preceding ones were all stock.

This one has a 6 position rotory knob on the botton right front and also has something wired to the NB switch that changes channels as well. I haven't mapped it out yet.

Here's what I want if possible:

1. Get rid of the big ass ugly knob.
2. Keep extra channel selection using existing switches (NB, Tone etc.)
3. Must at least go as high as 27.815 mHz, don't care about lowers.
4. Full alignment and return AM, SSB power levels back to factory specs.
5. Modulation adjusted to a respectable level
6. Clarifier centered and left openend.
7. Replace any weak or failure prone componets.
8. If the NB switch is used I would want the NR/NB left enabled as I usually have a little powerline spasms

What's the best way to convert it to this scheme? Is there an Expo like kit or some other expansion board that's better.

Basically, I just want it to transmit and receive nicely and go as high as 27.815mHz and have an opened clarifier, but look stock. The big ass knob has to go. I will be pairing it with my RM Italy HLA-150V.

Do any forum members do work such as this? i can ship it with a return shipping label and pay however you like.

No "Hacknicians need apply"

Thanks...

I would send it to DTB or ExitThirteen. Both are forum members and both have given excellent answers to many a tech question posed on this forum. Dunno where DTB's shop is (maybe PA?), but ExitThirteen is in IA. They have the experience and the skills to see it through the way you want. I'd recommend either one.

I've heard good things about both DTB and ExitThirteen. I see a lot of posts from ExitThirteen on fixing rigs like the Grant XL.

I have a Grant XL that is set up like you mention. I don't think it's that hard for a tech to hook up the switches like you want unless they have gorilla fingers. From what I have heard from my local tech, the export kits are getting a little hard to find. (I am not sure if this is true or not). They are nice in that you get a 40 up and 40 down, without missing any channels. Otherwise, the PLL jump seems to be pretty stable on these rigs. You mentioned you don't want the lowers, but mine does from about 26.655 on up to channel 1, and then starts to duplicate the regular 40 channels. Uppers start at .435 I think, and go clear up to 27.975 or so, and the other switch takes it clear into 10 meters.

Probably the hardest thing is going to be to have your tech remove all the old stuff. But honestly, a good tech should be able to do this without much trouble, unless the job was really hacked previously. Hopefully there weren't a lot of traces cut and the like. Everything else you mention should also be easily accomplished by a good tech. Too bad you don't live in the D/FW area, or I'd have a great guy to send you to. I am sure you can find one here on the forum to fix it though. Good luck!

RT307

It's nice to have one of those freq displays on it, especially since it doesn't just show just AM transmit like the coax pass through ones, but a real time display of receive and transmit when set up right.

That Uniden/Cobra board/chassis is one of the best out there, as you probably already know after having owned several. I hope you get it sorted out properly and working the way you like it. It reminds me I need to stick mine back in the truck and have fun with it again!

RT307

The Grant XL can cover CB and 10 meters if you so desire. If you want to work the SSB portion of 10 meters, it can be done as well as covering the freeband from 27.455 to 28.045. For total amount of channels (with the 10khz jump installed) that radio can go from either 26.175 ~ 28.045, or 26.815 ~ 28.500+ depending on the loop mixer crystal tht's used.

~Cheers~

Reactions: S&W357

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.