• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

upgrades for a TS 500V ???

B

BOOTY MONSTER

so im moving up to a 500V (YIPPIE !!!!) . seems like i recall in the past reading somewhere (i searched and cant find it ) about upgrading the power wires to a heavier guage helping the amp perform better . am i remembering right ? i was thinking about bumping up to 8 guage .
im not interested in bypassing the fuses , and i know about adding a fan to the fins . are their any other lil things to do to help the amp run easier ?

im not trying to squeeze every last watt out of it , just wanna help it live a long and happy life .

add a copper strap across the emitters of the 2sc2879's {the pills} ,and put a 4700 uf cap at the collector transformer{where u have 12 volts} on the back side where there is no split. if you dont know what i am talking about take to an expert.

add a copper strap across the emitters of the 2sc2879's {the pills} ,and put a 4700 uf cap at the collector transformer{where u have 12 volts} on the back side where there is no split. if you dont know what i am talking about take to an expert.
You don't need an expert to tell the 4700 uf cap thing is snake oil, if you have a good power supply there's no need to have to charge up some caps to cover any lack in peak voltage.

About straps across the emitters it's a personal preference but where you have 2 separate boards with 2 pill stages I hardly think it worth the effort plus it really makes changing transistors a royal pain if the need arises.

Booty you are right about the larger cable conversion, I went from 8 awg to 4 awg on a 2x4 setup and saw 75 watts pep more power but I would not suggest anything larger than 8 awg for the ts-500.

Well worth the time.

when i get around to swapping out the power wires ill go to 8 guage and by pass the built in fuses . ill install a 70 amp fuse on the new power line to replace the two 35 amp fuses .

thanks guys .

I am running 4 to within 8 inches of my box. It then goes into a fuse block in the back of my truck. Out of it is the original 8 to the box with the (2) 35 amp fuses. Sometimes I over fuse my stuff but I am not in it to win any competition, just talk around here. Of course this box, the same box you have, is almost 20 years old. The only problems I have had is with the pre-amp. I know it's getting power since at idle you can see the alt drop ever so slightly if I have just cranked the truck up. Nothing to be worried about in my opinion. Anything above idle or when the truck is warmed up you don't see anything. It could go out tonight and I would have got my money's worth out of it several times.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.