• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Varmint xl-250

ajm1571

Sep 27, 2006
Fountain, MI
I just aquired one of these amps and was wonderin what one is worth. A friend of mine owed me money an I decided to take the amp as partial payment :). It does work an he said he was seein 250-275 out of it??? Does that sound right? I really dont need it as I need a 10M radio instead! And he didnt have one to give me for payment :( Any info on this amp would greatly be appreciated :D

ajm1571 said:
I just aquired one of these amps and was wonderin what one is worth. A friend of mine owed me money an I decided to take the amp as partial payment :). It does work an he said he was seein 250-275 out of it??? Does that sound right? I really dont need it as I need a 10M radio instead! And he didnt have one to give me for payment :( Any info on this amp would greatly be appreciated :D

It could be a good amp for you, price wise, no more than 150 bucks. That amp was built before twin final radios and therefore it would not be a good idea to use one in drive it.

Forget the Yo-Yo- modulation; 4 watts in swinging to 12 - 16 watts is plenty.

There's a sticky somewhere about how to tune a tube radio if you have any questions.

Allen,
Not knowing your friend, and from a few years of listening to people talk about their equipment, I think I'd take any claims with a dose of 'salt', you know? Not that your friend isn't telling you the truth, but just in general.
Since you don't really need the amplifier it sort of makes sense to not 'value' it as much as if you did need it. It's 'value' is what it's worth to you, and how much your friend is 'worth' to you.
There's always more than "one step" in getting to where you want to go, unless you throw lots of money at it. How far you wanna walk?
- 'Doc

I just want my own 10m radio lmaooo If I really want to I could run it but I eally dont need to. I am borrowing a magnum 257 30w version an have made as many conacts with just the radio as I did with a klv 350 :D Tis the reason for my thinking when i got it lol

W5LZ said:
Allen,
Not knowing your friend, and from a few years of listening to people talk about their equipment, I think I'd take any claims with a dose of 'salt', you know? Not that your friend isn't telling you the truth, but just in general.
Since you don't really need the amplifier it sort of makes sense to not 'value' it as much as if you did need it. It's 'value' is what it's worth to you, and how much your friend is 'worth' to you.
There's always more than "one step" in getting to where you want to go, unless you throw lots of money at it. How far you wanna walk?
- 'Doc

Let me understand this: Not knowing his friend but, based of dipping in on others conversations you are going to cast negative dispersions on whether or not his friends is telling him the truth about a piece of equipment that you never saw or touched?

The only dose of salt around here is the one you are trying to throw in this fellows mix.

He has the amp and wants to know what's it's worth, I gave him a number and you gave him some crap about "not to value it as much because he doesn't need it"?

What is that about, how does that figure in when he wants to sell it and he need a decent asking price?

What does his friends value to him have to do with the question that he asked: How much is the amp worth and is 250 to 275 watts a good amount of output for that amp. PERIOD.

How is this:...
It's 'value' is what it's worth to you, and how much your friend is 'worth' to you.

Which is connected to this?...
There's always more than "one step" in getting to where you want to go, unless you throw lots of money at it.

Connected to this:...
How far you wanna walk?

If, you don't know what a Varmint XL-250 is worth or how many watts it puts out, it's best not to say anything at all; have you been taking the "Medicine" that you are supposed to be prescribing to other patients "Doc"?

paws264,
Sorry you're upset about what I said. Just for clarification, "Doc" is a nickname, not my profession. I didn't pick it, it was 'given' to me. I don't, and can't, prescribe anything and don't have any great desire to. Even if I could, I'm certainly smart enough NOT to 'treat' myself.
As for what advice I gave, you certainly have more options than getting up set over it. The first is ignore it. If you can't do that, then ignore it anyway.
Pick something that you find for sale, doesn't really matter what it is. If you pay more for it than it's worth to you, there's a name for that sort of behavior, isn't there.
As for how I came by that great pearl of wisdom, it wasn't from any miraculous dawning of the light. Just thinking about what I've done in the past (where most people get those 'pearls').
I honestly don't understand why you should be so bent out of shape. I don't think I contradicted you in anything really important, did I?
Everyone has opinions about things they know nothing about, even you. So, how am I such a terrible person because of that? Because I don't know everything (and I did say that to start with, didn't I)?
Oh well, everybody has bad days. This must have been one of yours. I'll live over it, I hope you do to.
- 'Doc

W5LZ said:
paws264,
Sorry you're upset about what I said. Just for clarification, "Doc" is a nickname, not my profession. I didn't pick it, it was 'given' to me. I don't, and can't, prescribe anything and don't have any great desire to. Even if I could, I'm certainly smart enough NOT to 'treat' myself.
As for what advice I gave, you certainly have more options than getting up set over it. The first is ignore it. If you can't do that, then ignore it anyway.
Pick something that you find for sale, doesn't really matter what it is. If you pay more for it than it's worth to you, there's a name for that sort of behavior, isn't there.
As for how I came by that great pearl of wisdom, it wasn't from any miraculous dawning of the light. Just thinking about what I've done in the past (where most people get those 'pearls').
I honestly don't understand why you should be so bent out of shape. I don't think I contradicted you in anything really important, did I?
Everyone has opinions about things they know nothing about, even you. So, how am I such a terrible person because of that? Because I don't know everything (and I did say that to start with, didn't I)?
Oh well, everybody has bad days. This must have been one of yours. I'll live over it, I hope you do to.
- 'Doc

Paws said:
Command: FLAME OFF!

Every thing I said was right......

Chalk it up to Transfering Hostilities. Add sugar not salt.

Mel

ETA: Cheezus, I was just kidding about the medicine and you being called "Doc".

Mel. AKA "Baby-Doc", not to be confused with "Doc-w8erg" now SK!

thast what I was thinkin ifin I sell it. I really need tofigure out what I gonna do. I really would like to trade it for a 10m radio of the same value :D

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.