• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

VFO sideband turning question

darticus

Oct 17, 2011
VFO sideband turning question.
I have a Browning Mark 3 CB. The person who sold it to me said they added a capacitor to the VFO to allow much more turning so hey could talk on half channels on side band. It sounded to me that he was saying two people would go to channel 38 AM go to USB or LSB and tune the VFO to get to a section where they can talk mid way on the sideband channel. This technique was used back around 1970. He now says your better removing the cap as this makes it very hard to stay tuned. He said to get someone to do it but I don't know what he's really talking about. I see a cap that was added to the VFO knob and this is probably the cap he is talking about. He doesn't know where it is. WE ARE NOT REALLY TALKING NOW AS HE APPEARS VERY AVASIVE. Does anyone know what he is talking about? Can I enjoy using this if I new what I was doing. Is anyone familiar with this half channel technique. You would probably have to be from back in the day to remember this. I found a link that might have something to do with this. here it is but I don't know if its connected to what I'm talking about. qsl.net/n3is/oscillator.htm Thanks Ron

I think he either told you wrong or you misunderstood. First, 38 LSB & USB and not different "channels", it is a different mode of talking on the SAME frequency. You can check this if you ever have a radio with a freq counter, switch from AM,FM,LSB & USB and the counter does not change.

What your radio probably does with this mod is have a greater slide range. Your still talking on AM but you could maybe go to a half channel. By this I mean channel 38 is 27.385, with your radio you could slide to 27.380 or 27.390. You won't be able to talk LSB or USB though unless your Browning radio is a SSB radio.

If I misunderstood then my bad.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.