• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

VHF amps

I noticed that too. I'll bet he really meant dBW. You will never see a CB or ham amp rated in dBW.The only stuff I have seen rated that way have been commercial stuff for broadcast use or commercial VHF/UHF bands.

the types of amps i am refering to
is typiclly used with the cellular industry

they do not rate via wattage as is done in cb and ham radio gear

KingCobra_CDX882 said:
the types of amps i am refering to
is typiclly used with the cellular industry

they do not rate via wattage as is done in cb and ham radio gear

That's what I was talking about.You know how dB gain works.In this case the gain is over a 1 watt referance,dBW.An amp rated for an output of 13 dB would put out 20 watts.

i started the thread/question
to see how others would answer..

the cellular amps are good buit typiclly way to low powered
many people think cellular towers run all sorts of power
usally though they have only 10-20 watt outputs
for they need only cover a few blocks to tops a half mile

They can run up here,from what I have been told by the tech installing the site located on the property purchased from my parents ;) between 75 and 90 watts.That is into a high gain antenna as well.Cell sites definately need to cover more than a few blocks in rural areas. At close to $500,000 per site they have to pick the best sites possible and get the best range so as to minimise the number of sites.From my parents place just up the road the next cell site is about 6 miles to the east and about 12 miles to the west as the crow flies.

QRN

most the older cell sites before when they were analog
those used more power then those being typiclly used now

i have a site being put up for Team Mobile
there are 4 stacked antennas (each with a 20 watt amp on it)
these are directional panel antennas

have 3 sets of these going up to go in 3 different directions
it also depends on the site and the area it is in

Later

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.